Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will the euro work ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its leaning in the wrong direction!

Will it work?, it better all the other money's already gone...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Whether or not it works depends on the willingness of the goevernments involved to maintain the spending limits imposed. I imagine they will but it has to be remembered every single fixed exchange rate system prior to this has broken down. If the Euro is to survive indefinitly then there will need to be a shift of economic control from the member states to a feceral structure- which may not be in Irelands interests given our economic development is based on reducing taxes to encourage investment and enterprise.

Should such a federal economic system come to pass it will be preceded by the mother of all battles between the right and the left, and for the sake of Ireland wed better hope the right wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The single fixed exchange rate between countries has been in effect for what, the last two years now? Dual pricing has also been around for quite some time.

We only got the physical currency now apart from that nothing else has changed in regards to Europe.

TBH the rest of the world seems to be building up the sensationalism about the new currency as if this is something that just happened.

My favorites are...

- Criminals can now use the Euro to launder money anywhere in Europe!

Except that the serial numbers on currency would tell you where the currency originally comes from. I thought the $1 bill was the criminals preferred currency as it's still the most common and wildly accepted (and easy to forge).

- Euros have magnetic signatures to track you.

Which isn't true. They do plan to put magnetic signing into the currency but it didn't make it in time, and it is no different then having a serial number on the note.

- We can't have our Queen on the note.

*shrug* (Actually the UK is allowed the queen on the coins)

Curious, if the UK was to join what do you think their british symbol would be? Would scotland ask for their own symbol?

[added]
    corrections in bold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

One of the countries has a kings head on it. But now that you mention it he may not actually be alive (dunno)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

will the euro work?

I was able to purchase goods (and services :)) with euros for the past few days so Id say yes, as far as money goes it works pretty well.

Also I propose we censor the term "monoply money". How come every note in the world is deemed to be monoply money?
    Well its not that I dont like the [insert whatever currency], its just it looks like monoply money, gimme a barely distinguishable james joyce any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Hobbes
    One of the countries has a kings head on it. But now that you mention it he may not actually be alive (dunno)

Some of the dutch coins feature Queen Beatrix, who is alive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Some of the Spanish euro coins have King Juan Carlos on them, he is also still alive. I suppose the British could put a bulldog on theirs, or some beered-up yobbos on the pull from a Sky Special, 'Skanks Catching AIDS in Ibiza' or some such :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Curious, if the UK was to join what do you think their british symbol would be? Would scotland ask for their own symbol?

Sterling is already demoniated in a number of seperate currency issuings from Scotland, England, the Isle of man, bank of Ireland, (and I think the Channel Islands aswell). So having different coin designs for different UK regions would not be any more difficult than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Castor Troy

Some of the Spanish euro coins have King Juan Carlos on them, he is also still alive. I suppose the British could put a bulldog on theirs, or some beered-up yobbos on the pull from a Sky Special, 'Skanks Catching AIDS in Ibiza' or some such :)

Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by C B
    Sterling is already demoniated in a number of seperate currency issuings from Scotland, England, the Isle of man, bank of Ireland, (and I think the Channel Islands aswell). So having different coin designs for different UK regions would not be any more difficult than it is now.
    Bah! Ask the British to enter a standardized European currency? There's a joke; they can't even orginize a British currency - try spending an Isle of man pound in mainland Britian and see what you get...

Advertisement