Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel demo 2Ghz P4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

but more interesting than that is ibms announcement of 2 cpus on a single chip.
    This is much more likely the way things are going to go, in a few years it wont be megahertz you measure in but cpu's

c22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

unless its made by 3d/fx smile.gif

any links to an article on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

Dont sparcs do that already??

I know AMD are planning to use it for there
    Sledgehammer chip. It is planned to have up to 8 cpus on a single chip.

Stephen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

why didn't intel put more l2 and l1 cache onto the p4? lest amd are planing on puting on more cache to there chips, as for the ram bus mem, ppl already know that it sucks(DDR ram is the way things are going)

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Catch_22:
    This is much more likely the way things are going to go, in a few years it wont be megahertz you measure in but cpu's

I think it will be judged by which one looks the cutest. smile.gif

cubepromo07182000.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

now thats what i'm talkin bout.. and which should be arriving on my doorstep within the week wink.gif

.logic.

i think youll see a much greater increase in the performance of machines equipped with a p4 and rambus than previously on i820/i840 cos for once the high bandwidth that rambus has is actually being used.
    however intel have SDR and DDR chipsets on the way anyway, and they've licenced their tech as well so youll see VIA etc chipsets available also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

still like, what difference does it make when you can have a silver, hey i mean, translucent aluminium, apple the size of a toaster with a power button that is touch sensitive!
    worship at steve jobs' feet i will.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm sorry, but everyone seems to be forgetting that Macs are sh1te!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

from a design/head turning point of view, they definatly do not suck.

but to put it simply; all the cool software + devices are on the wintel platform smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

admittedly I don't use Mac's, they are expensive ( compared to intel pc's anyway ) but they aren't crap.

Any serious (professional in general )design people use mac's.

Gav

The new mac you see above is only $2K (for best spec), DVD as standard.

What's puzzling me is it is a fraction of the size of the G4 servers currently available and doesn't have a fan in it making it extremly quiet. So I wonder how it stays so cool?

I'm thinking of getting one for chrissy (I should have my apartment furnished by then and able to recover from all the wasted cash for the crap you have to buy for one).

Anyone who thinks a MAC is crap obviously doesn't use one all the time. tongue.gif They are slowly but actually catching on. There are a hell of a lot more games then there was 6 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well, we all know that MAC's own your Ass at Graphic, video and sound worker. Such systems as Avid and Protools being based on MAC have now broken in to the PC market but to be honest Avid on a Pc is total ******.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

ONE MOUSE BUTTON

'nuff said tongue.gif

j/k BTW mac-fetishists

they're actualyl trying to move away from even one button and have the whole mouse as a button .. e.g. press your palm down. which sounds absolutely painful for anyone who would use it for over an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

"64MB of high-performance RAM, 1MB of backside level 2 cache, a capacious 20GB Ultra ATA/66 hard disk drive, DVD-ROM drive with DVD-Video playback" 64 megs!!!!!"ATI RAGE 128 Pro graphics card with 16MB of graphics memory." remind me but aren't they crap? i'll keep my ge-force thank you very much

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The new mac you see above actually has two cpu's in it. And every1 knows jobs is a ****ing moron.

Time after time I've seen PCs out-perform the equivalent Mac for about half the price. I know three people who work for/own design companies and none of them use Macs or would have heard of anyone who does.

When the iMac was first released it had bucketloads of software AND hardware problems. No professional is going to buy something like that. It wasn't the fastest selling 'puter of all time cos of itself. It's cos it had a colourful case and dumb-ass americans and wintel haters went oohhhh....pretty

cube was meant to come with the an ati radeon card.. but isnt now because ati hanppened to let that fact slip and jobs went all mental and cancelled the inclusion of them.
    also the mouse that comes with the cube is an optical 1 button mouse i believe.
    what else.. ehh apple are having huge problems ramping up the clock speeds of their processors upto and past 800Mhz.

that is all for the moment.

You forgot the colours! They're changing the iMacs to less extreme colours. A sure sign of a company with it's finger on the technological pulse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

C64 is way better than the spectrum. Spectrum can't even do sprites ffs.

• Advertisement

erm yes it could. tongue.gif just not in colour.

although some really cool colour overlaying it was possible. There was two famous games that did it (shoot em up, and a platform game).

One mouse button? Strange, my mouse has 3 buttons and a wheel on it.

Afair, Pentuims can outperform Macs when it comes to real numbers. Integer maths Mac is faster then a PC. And Mac programs seem to perform the same as windows one, only within 30K of memory instead of 128MB minimum you tend to see on Windows programs.

Dual processor? hmmm, kewl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

22indexphoto106282000.jpg

W I I I I I D E S C R E E N !

ffs - that's just annoying. Hook it up to 'yer telly if u want widescreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Raven

nah **** the telly....

what i've always dreamed about was playing quake in the cinema =)

now THAT would be amazing....
    god.... wink.gif

this would be a good time to be annoying and brag that I have a 4 grand projector sittin in my room at home.
    southpark on my wall smile.gif

I have three guys come around and paint the picture onto my wall. Granted I only get 1 frame every 2 hours but it's more expensive and cooler looking then yours wink.gif

btw, that widescreen monitor (which is ultrathin btw) is almost the same price as a high spec computer.

Advertisement