Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY Ireland Viewers Action Group

• 06-01-2002 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭

I have decided to set up an action group. i am setting up a website if you are interested in helping please contact me.

I havce decieded to this following the success of Irelandoffline.

So if you want to help please contact me or visit the website
    http://cirrus.spaceports.com/~mcneela/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

What help do you need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I'm at your service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think what we need to do now is for everyone to email what they think is wrong with Sky in ireland and then we will use this a list of objectives for the group.
    Also please help in making suggestions as to where we should go from here.
    let your friends and neighbours know about us.
    Word of mouth is everything

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

How about the following for starters :

1) Get UTV/ITV2 on the EPG
    2) Lower the price of the Box Office Movies
    3) Get the Sky+ Box implemented here asap
    4) Suggest improvements to EPG
    5) Lobby for lower pricing on whole service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

6). Get BBB R5 Live on the EPG. You may need to talk to the Beeb first though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Kevin,

Charles Slane has some good points on the other threads in this forum regarding e-mails and contacts etc.

Charles - are you interested in pooling resources with Kevin ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm also game to help out if needed. If ya like, I will add a link from my i-Sky site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Yes i agree that something has to be done. I am 100% a Sky addict. I have convinced neighbours and family to switch to Sky. however i do fell that Sky viewers in the ROI are being let down by the two-tier system in place. one for Sky uk and the other for Sky roi.
    I do hope that this new campaign and web site will not take anything or anyone away from this wonderful ICDG site. It got us all together, it helps exchange ideas. I hope that both web sites will work side by side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

In addition to the treatment that Sky's Irish customers receive, there are two things that bother me about Sky, and this applies to all their subscribers, whether in the UK or Ireland:

1) Their failure to broadcast in widescreen, despite the fact that the digibox gives you the option to crop widescreen programmes to 4:3 fullscreen if you prefer;

2) Their onscreen logo on Sky One. We don't need it, if we want to know what channel we're watching we can press 'select'.

Sadly, this is only the start of a long list of Sky's poor technical standards. Unfortunately complaining to Sky doesn't work, so I hope this campaign does.

You have my full support and if I can do anything please e-mail me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Further suggestions:

Get all BBC channels (TV and Radio) onto the EPG
    As well as getting Sky + here, also getting the mirror sub.

Glennus,

Sky will never remove the logos. All of the cable companies both here and in the UK carry most of the Sky channels and I doubt if it would be possible (and definately not practical) for them to remove it for Sky digital customers and not the rest.

On a similar point, South Coast TV are relaying the BBC1NI feed directly to their customers including the Red Interactive button whenever it comes on. (News, FA Cup, Walking With Beasts,etc).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

I Like Sky Digital
    But I want Sky to do the following
    1. Bring back Tara TV and S4Cto Irish Customer
    2. Give us ITV1,ITV2,Channel 4 and Channel 5
    offically
    3. Cut down the prices on Sky Box Offices movie as they
    are to dear.
    4,and to Allow Irish Customers to have a mirriored Sky Viewing
    Card for cheaper like the English Customer who have it for £12.
    . finally good luck Kevin with the new website and I will backed
    you

firstly
    thanks for the support. i am not going to take away from any of the sites providing information on sky digital.
    just create one site for all the complaints.

i need some help with getting the website running and perhaps we could use the icdg community message board to host ours.

keep up the support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Having your site featured and maybe being a part of the ICDG site would be an excellent idea. I am all for your site, great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I think that anything that brings pressure to bear on Sky Digital to improve and increase the services available in the republic is a good idea, and I'd give it my support.

However I'd be interested to hear what Ronan has to say on the subject, as he has brought us together on this forum and through the ICDG site, and I'd hate to think that he might feel in any way undermined in his efforts.

The best way to get our point(s) across is through working together, and I'd hope that we could do this by including this forum, the ICDG site and Kevin's action group in a concerted effort to get our views through to the powers-that-be in Sky and the other broadcasters.

I agree 100% with what Charles has said.
    mm

i have no intention of underminig ronan hard work. i just feel that he could concentrate on his reporting of the news and inofrmation and i could keep track of the campaign. its sort of a double effort. if ronan whats to get in contact with me he can we can talk tatics. i like to chat with the owner of the i-sky as well i think its irishbyte. i need some help getting the site off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I dunno, I think the campaign has been progressing fine so far, and that spreading it, through e-mails to friends and word of mouth, is far more beneficial than any website organising the protest.

Kevin, you mention that you want to do this following the success of Ireland- Offline. What success has it had, exactly? 8 months after it was setup, we still don't have a flat rate service to subscribe to, DSL is as far away as ever. Not a good role model, I feel.

BSkyB is a different animal to a telecoms or Internet provider, and Sky are known to crack down on that sort of thing, and I wouldn't like any of ye to be on the receiving end of a writ for Rupert Murdoch's lawyers!

I dont want to be a moaning Michael on this but I think this is the case where the individual can achieve more than the group, so personal mails and phone calls to Sky would register quicker with them rather than any petition or other stunt could.

byte

Originally posted by Kevin
    i have no intention of underminig ronan hard work. i just feel that he could concentrate on his reporting of the news and inofrmation and i could keep track of the campaign. its sort of a double effort. if ronan whats to get in contact with me he can we can talk tatics. i like to chat with the owner of the i-sky as well i think its irishbyte. i need some help getting the site off the ground.

Well I will help as best I can. Just mail me should you want anything.

Originally posted by DamoDMC:
    BSkyB is a different animal to a telecoms or Internet provider, and Sky are known to crack down on that sort of thing, and I wouldn't like any of ye to be on the receiving end of a writ for Rupert Murdoch's lawyers!

Whatever hope there is when you are dealing with a "monopoly" like Sky digital-gentle persuasion is better than, just an Angry approach imho.
    Theres no competition worth its salt in the area at the moment
    So what bargaining tool does a group like this have.
    Are all those who currently enjoy Sky digital going to switch it off and go back to analogue???
    I do not think so.....

If you approach Sky in this way,you are asking for trouble.

mm

byte

Yeah, have to admit, madman, you do have a point there. Anyways, everyone keep pestering Sky via any means possible, be it email, snailmail, phone, etc.

viewerR@bskyb.com

Tel: 1800 535767

The mail address is possibly somewhere on ICDG site though emails may be best and quickest. Telephone is debatable as the Customer Services aren't given very much information on anything. But you may be lucky!!:D

• Advertisement
    byte

Just to update, here's ALL you need to know:

http://www.iolfree.ie/~icdg/dsat_campaign.htm

:):cool:

Just to let you know the site has been updated and the a new address is http://sivag.cjb.net

Advertisement