Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios Upgrade

• 25-08-2000 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I bought a new HD, a Maxtor 40.9 Gb ONe, and of course because I a muppet I never thought of checking to see was it compatable with my BIOS, and of course it isnt. SO I nedd to ask you nice people how do I get a BIOS upgrade, is it free, and do you think I need to. Basically the problem Im having is that when I go to auto detect the drive in the BIOS, it doent. If you have any other ideas please ket me know ASAP.

Thanks John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

BIOS updates are free and are very esay to install. all you need is the new BIOS file and an installer. before you install anything you need to clear the cmos. boot into dos or command prompt and open the installer, it sould ask you what file you want to use to update the BIOS (have the new BIOS file in the same dir) and type in its name. it sould the ask you do you want to save the old BIOS before you update say yes and call it somthing (ie. oldbios) the it sould run a little install down the botten of the program then all you need to do is reboot and theres your new bios.

you should also put the name of your motherboard and bios up here as some ppl could have the same or know a place that has the best bios for that type.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Cheers, I know hpw o do it, the problem is getting the upgrade. What I have now is an Award BIOS v4.51pg and the motherboard is a P6LX-A+

Thanks John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

OK, I got the BIOS upgraded thanks to logic1. Now the next problem, I know its not the BIOS cause I have the newest version but the shítty thing still wont detect the harddrive. I'm unsure of the jumper settings as there is no sticker on the drive showing them, and for some reason unknown to me they dont have me model on the site.

So I need help in trying to sort out what way trhe jumpers go. If anyone has a maxtor drive with a book or anything please let me know. THe model number on my drive is 94098U6

Thanks John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

This is from the manual of my 10 gb Maxtor UDMA 33 hard drive.

maxtor.jpg

hope that helps

- Munch
    - Sh33r l33tn35$, i tell you
    - Fortress.ie

• Advertisement

Yea, on the site as I was telling you the Cable select is ****ed, the pic I mean. THey have J44 as not having a pin there.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

note top j44 pin is not there well it isent on mine .

Yea, I know that, but on the Site they have it as showing the bottom J44 not being there, its very confusing. Any Way it's still not working. So I'm ringing Maxtor Tommorrow. Its only an Irish number so wont cost much. But Sickboy thinks that my HD controller is just pants.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Have you tried it on it's own?
    Have you tried it on both controllers (With Dif cables)?
    Don't use Cable Select it's always been hit and miss.

Did the BIOS upgrade you got specifically say it added large HDD support? It might have been created way before >8.4Gb disks.

Get the Cyliners/Heads/Sectors for the HDD (Usually printed onthe drive itself).
    Go to the HDD section in your BIOS and choose CHS for the Translation mode, then pop in these settings.

If none of that works there is another option, but it involves a cat, 5 candles, a tuning fork and the will of Ardandix - lord of doughnuts.
    Best leave that one be...

Creed man, I tried it on its own, I tried different cables, the BIOS is 13/1/99 I was told by logic that that Will cover large drives. I typed in all the info. And I tried all the jumper settings.

However to say that, It never said that the BIOS supported Large HDD. I'll check and repost if I find more.

Cheers for the Help0r

Oh and since your here, when Can I start 0wning j00 at TF again??

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

That depends on when you need to go sleepy-time and dream : wink.gif....
    Shall be back in the old wet country tomorrow. Probably start playing again before the weekend.

I will own joo, if i get the comp working I rang maxtor I was talking to a nice young wan, she told me to set the jumpers to J 46 which reduces the drive to 32Gb or what ever the max the BIOS takes. It didnt work, so I'm going to test it in another computer tommorrow, that has a newer BIOS, etc. If it doesnt work in that I'll be ringing DABS and Hurling abuse. Mother ****ers. I'll expect compensatuion and I will get it. Send me a free PCI IDE card or something :0

John

Advertisement