Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win2k..

• 27-08-2000 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

How many people out there are running this successfully, from a gaming point of view.

I find all my programs run fine (faster in some cases). Games themselves start up faster but the benifits appear to end there.

In Deus-Ex for instance I seem to get unexplained pauses in certain sections of the game, which didnt happen in 98.

Furthermore, the framerate in counter strike goes through the floor every time player models or large draw distances occur on screen. A plunge from 70fps down to 20 is just not on, especially on a Geforce 2.

Has anyone had these problems, or more to the point, fixed them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It definitely has problems with direct3d games, I have grand prix 3 and cant get it to work in hardware mode at all, and it reboots the machine sometimes when I try to play in software mode, which is very annoying, as win2k is probably the best product microsoft have ever made. On the other hand, opengl games work perfectly, because the nt kernel suppports opengl fully, whereas direct3d has been bolted on. I get more fps in win2k in quake3 than I did in 98 ( it went up from 210 to 245 in timedemo 1. Hopefully patches and driver updates will help somewhat. I wonder if there is a version of directx 8 for win2k, as that might help.

As regards counter strike, I havent patched it up fully yet to play on the net, but I did play it a few times, and while it doesnt always connect to the server first time, I dont get any graphical slowdowns.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 27-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Raven

well hec...was talking to you bout this.

I checked out cs for me and have absolutely no probs.
    Running perfect.
    UT also running perfect....

so..at my end both opengl and d3d are fine.
    (and thats with detanator 3 drivers)

With regards win2k and sound....
    MY sblive isn't quite working to what it can, but thats easily sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im running windows me at the moment so far no probloms but there are some strange things happening with the computer not to mention resorces seem to be gone . thinking of going back to windows 98 frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Gerry: Your wish is my command.
    ftp.quake.ie/drivers/dx8nteng.exe
    See if that helps your D3D problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Installed latest motherboard drivers from via's site, everything seems to be back to normal now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Thanks sickboy, I'll download it when I get home. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Raven

motherboard drivers? strange how that would help the situation.

maybe something was up with the agp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hec,

I'm running window 2000 and I've had no problems with any games I've tried at all.

I run mainly UT and it runs like a dream on W2K. (btw I have a Voodoo3 3000 in my system and UT is known to like the Voodoo Cards better than the TNT2 etc)

The only problems I had were with my Yamaha SCSI CD-RW and the Adaptec CD-Creator but after installing a different CD Burner package the Adaptec Software worked, strange smile.gif

The only think I'll say is that W2K is very slow to get up and running initially after boot up and I don't know if its trying to get a network connection up or what. But on saying that when I do connect to the net my internet connection seems to be alot faster.

After running Windows 98 and all the crashes I experienced with that I have never had a crash in W2K since I installed it 2 Months ago.

Gandalf.

[This message has been edited by gandalf (edited 29-08-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

as Raven mentioned, the new agp drivers from via have fixed the problem.

And you have problems with Adaptec EZcd?, will wonders never cease wink.gif

Advertisement