Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"This thread is boring me now..."

• 06-01-2002 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38076

Did Gandalf overstep the mark when he locked this thread because it bored him? Surly only serious flaming or legal matters should end a threads life not the whim of a moderator.

Yes it was a thread I started but thats besides the point,
    honest!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

That's why he has his own card!

gandalflock.jpg

He tends to lock things if they degrade into name calling or go hopelessly off-topic. If you still have valid discussion start another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

From the thread in question:

Originally posted by mike65

If I were a moderator, I'd lock this thread!

Mike.

errr, why are you complaining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This thread is boring me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

bored amp test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

who said spam was forbidden on the admin board ?

and btw i recon gandalf has a carté blanche when it comes to his board

dont hit me tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

carté blanche

wat doze dat mean, hee yuk **

** cletus the slak-jawed yokel mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Gone Shootin

wat doze dat mean, hee yuk **

** cletus the slak-jawed yokel mode

basically it means he can do what ever he wants - google it efssf :o

[edit]
    heres some google examples
    “I explained the overall vibe to Kevin,
    but then gave him carté blanche to do whatever he liked. He went in a number ...

Ford Racing's engineers were given carté blanche to revamp
    a 1.8 litre Laser GLXi and the result is the Laser Panther

... I didn't have any more specific instruction than that so that gave me carté blanche
    as to whether I talk about what it involves, how long it took or its ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

google it TM

mine now, just registered the blurb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Man a post criticising me at last that didn't originate on the humanities or politics board, this must be a first.

The thread was closed because it was turning into a my team has a bigger todger that your team thread alternatively known as the "lets gang up on Eamo" thread which occurs religiously on the sports board every couple of weeks.

By the way if you are going to complain about me its traditional to call me a "facist" as well :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hahahahha!!!! A facist that has a beard and a big pointy hat. NOT!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Only ever locked one thread in my entire (And devilishly short) time as a moderator, and it was almost the same as why the thread being discussed was locked... It simply began a continuous downward spiral that caused a rampant ammount of pictures, useless / off-topic comments and other evil things to get posted...

Why do I bother telling you this!?,
    because the person who has been assigned to a board as a moderator is responsible for keeping that place neat and tidy, no matter how they do it - It is up to the Big Boy's of Boards to judge wether that moderator was right or wrong in their methods, and rest assured, if any one thought that what Gandalf did was completely out of order, im sure one of those big boards people would have had a few quiet words by now... No thread gets locked without a reason, and Im sure Gandalf had at least one...

All I have to say to Gandalf is... Well, basically, your avatar owns me...

Have a nice day...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bloody fascists, comin' over here, closing our threads, killing our women, raping our goats, mutter, millenium hand and shrimp, mutter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mmmmm fascist goats. Anyway Eamo loves all the attention. And most people wouldn't even know Spurs exist if it wasn't for him.

Besides Scottish footballs a load of crap anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, what else can you do.
    at the end of the day when your team is crap, all you have to do is be abususive and get the thread locked :)

besides, arsenal supporters arent *that* bad.
    could be worse.
    sorry, no, it couldnt :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Come on now, leave the gunners out of this - This is between a Lord Of The Rings character, and the 65th Clone of some chap named 'Mike' (Really, one is enough in my humble, useless, humourless, fruitless and rather tasteless opinion)

Although im an Arsenal fan (Anything with the word "Arse" in there has to be a personal favourite of mine... Erm, I mean...)
    I'd wager that the majority of them would be severely mentally challenged if you threw them in the direction of boards.ie... We have enough slurring, insults and rampaging as it is, without having to watch them in action on the ole Television...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

fascist.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Your gonna get your boring threads locked up
    *clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Dustaz
    From the thread in question:

If I were a moderator, I'd lock this thread!

Mike

errr, why are you complaining?

I knew that would get thown back at me...!

I did'nt think things had got too abusive myself, no sign of
    coins being thrown, still if Gandalf wants to show the card
    who am I to argue. ;)

Mike (first generation).

P.S Dustaz,
    Arsenal 0
    Liverpool 2 (again) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by DeVore
    fascist.

DeV.

dictator.