Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dont you just hate it when

Options
  • 06-01-2002 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

1)you give your client total control over the content of the site, as per his/her preference

2) he/she TOTALLY SCREWS up the design and turns the site into something a 5 year old would do better ?

from this

mitchscreenthumb.JPG

to this

http://www.mitchmusic.com

i know its all about what the customer wants, but as a designer i hate having my name attached to that bloody eyesore

the artist in me rebels !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Oh my ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Omfg that's brilliant I've bookmarked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Well that's something I haven't seen in a while.

IMHO sites like the one above are the internet equivalent of a blood clot.

If you do too many sites like this it wrecks your creative drive and soon everything you do will look just like it.

You were warned !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

LET'S HAVE SOME FUN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Originally posted by Terminator

If you do too many sites like this it wrecks your creative drive and soon everything you do will look just like it.

You were warned !

If you made sites like that in the first place it shows that you have no creative design to begin with. No self respecting 'artist' would put his name to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It's not that bad but in future try not to use the geocities web builder to make a site :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

ROFL... all it's missing is a few BLINK tags :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    1)you give your client total control over the content of the site, as per his/her preference

2) he/she TOTALLY SCREWS up the design and turns the site into something a 5 year old would do better ?

from this

mitchscreenthumb.JPG

to this

http://www.mitchmusic.com

i know its all about what the customer wants, but as a designer i hate having my name attached to that bloody eyesore

the artist in me rebels !

So point out the difference between the two again?

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

well ok the screenshot of my original does not show what the rest of the page looked like, but plainly the use of colors, size of text+pic, colums, and the rest, has gone arseways ?

if i find the original HTML ill throw it up for comparison, if i remember to do it, which i doubt I will as i've had my rant and am satisfied :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

i know its all about what the customer wants

Personally, I think this point gets taken out of context a lot.

The client wants a website - why? Well, to satisfy the users that will be using the site of course. Otherwise they won't come back. So, by providing a site that fits the users needs, it should in effect satisfy the clients needs.

Clients hire designers because they can't do it themselves. They ought to be listening to what you have to say about design and you should be explaining why certain design elements are as they are. When a client suggests or wants something that you see as damaging to the target audience of the site it should be brought up and explained from your professional POV.

So, it's all about what the client wants in the respect that they want a web site to do what they want it to do. However, it's also true to say that it's all about what the users want - and it's your job to provide that - not the clients.

In any case, what are the differences between you original site and the current one? I can't see anything major...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Pointing out the differences would be a help... that 'eyesore' looks alot like your 'original'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    Your client knows his/her business, it's how he/she makes their living. You don't.

Your client knows his/her customers, he/she has had plenty of experience dealing with them. You don't.

And a sh1tty looking site may make them more money than an artistic one - look at Ryanair - and that's the bottom line for them, as it should be for you.

Advertisement