Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRQ problem

• 07-01-2002 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

My computer has an onboard graphics and onboard sound........
    but both share the same IRQ number you can see that if I start up a video file with sound the clip keeps skipping......

My BIOS doesnt have the disable plug and play option and I cant change the IRQ numbers in the device manager......

So I tried reserving the IRQ number (9) they were so fond of....they both moved together to another IRQ number(11)......i removeed the sound card and and freed the irq number....the sound card went to IRQ 9 and then when i restarted my computer the graphics went back IRQ 9

Is there any way to change these IRQs without having change my BIOS?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You removed the on board sound card? You mean you deleted it from your windoze hardware profile? Anyway, all I can think of is to have a look at your motherboards manual, and see if there is a way to force IRQ's on the onboard yokies. Or turn one of them off and go out and by a secondary graphics/sounds card. That's about all I can think of. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by SearrarD
    My computer has an onboard graphics and onboard sound........
    but both share the same IRQ number you can see that if I start up a video file with sound the clip keeps skipping......

My BIOS doesnt have the disable plug and play option and I cant change the IRQ numbers in the device manager......

So I tried reserving the IRQ number (9) they were so fond of....they both moved together to another IRQ number(11)......i removeed the sound card and and freed the irq number....the sound card went to IRQ 9 and then when i restarted my computer the graphics went back IRQ 9

Is there any way to change these IRQs without having change my BIOS?

Are you using w2000 by any chance?
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Its win 98se and wait for its a Compaq.....
    The BIOS contains no advanced options and bieng a compaq there is a 50/50 chance that i might skullFu<k it never work again if i try to flash a new BIOS
    The support is non existant for my problem cause the laptop orginaly came with ME and was to be damned if i ws going to use it......
    is there a dos utility to chage IRQs even if windows plug&play is enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by SearrarD
    Its win 98se and wait for its a Compaq.....
    The BIOS contains no advanced options and bieng a compaq there is a 50/50 chance that i might skullFu<k it never work again if i try to flash a new BIOS
    The support is non existant for my problem cause the laptop orginaly came with ME and was to be damned if i ws going to use it......
    is there a dos utility to chage IRQs even if windows plug&play is enabled
    It could be due to
    ACPI(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface,I think) if you search around for it on google-sorry don't have time to give more help-(its an issue for me on w2000 with a ta using the winbond chipset-freezes on boot unless the ta is disabled in device manager-I can enable it after booting and it works fine-weird..)

Jd

Advertisement