Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just an idea for you IOFL peeps...

Options
  • 07-01-2002 3:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

At the moment Chorus PowerNet is available in Limerick city, to those of course that are in LOS (line of site) of Keeper Hill. So this is in effect Broad Band. They offer 512kbs Cable, via MMDS, for £40 a month (Forgive me I dont know the euro of it :) ). People i know of that avail from this product is Yankin and his friend Dazza.

Now thats not all to bad, but for home users, like my self, I cant afford to be paying £40 a month, and I think alot of others cant either, also I dont think myself or those other's need 512kbs of band width. What about having 128kbs? What about getting them to offer 128kbs Cable to us, say for £20 a month I mean there making alot of profit here, no? and making us happier, no?

128kbs is 1/4 of the 512kbs they offer for £40, hence if they sold the 128kbs connection at £20 a month they would be making them self's some profit, and also more users would go to them for such a product.

Any ways this i know would keep me damn well happy :)
    C yas,

-adren-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    They offer 512kbs Cable, via MMDS, for £40 a month

Now thats not all to bad, but for home users, like my self, I cant afford to be paying £40 a month, and I think alot of others cant either, also I dont think myself or those other's need 512kbs of band width. What about having 128kbs? What about getting them to offer 128kbs Cable to us, say for £20 a month I mean there making alot of profit here, no? and making us happier, no?

I've got 2 trains of thought on this one.

First Train of thought:
    Many otherss (myself included) have to endure that shower of sh*tes at EirCON trying to charge us £90/100 (incl vat) for the equivalent in DSL WITH further charges of about £30 per additional 1GB used in download/upload over the basic 3gb limit.

is this £40 a flat-rate fee?? That's what they pay in the UK I do believe. If you can't afford £40 a month for broadband, can I ask you how much you're paying in terms of line-rental andphone calls on your current setup? I'll be surprised if its anywhere NEAR £40 yet alone less than!

Second train of thought:
    Good point on many people perhaps feeling that they don't need 512Kb and therefore not seeing why they should pay full-whack. Would be better for consumer confidence too if there's a choice in what they have to pay out for, thus perhaps convincing more people to sign up for services.

Hmmm. Too early to think and my brain is starting to overload.. GGAAAAHHH .. damn you Adren! ;) hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

TBH, i dont think anyone could expect broadband for less than 40 a month. Thats a really good deal (altho there is a 3gb cap on the service aledgedly).

Look at it this way, SNL was 20 a month, and that was not always on and it is approx 10 times slower for half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fiddlinvet

man, I wish I had any decent Internet access at all...I am on dial-up with 56K and am paying by the minute ever since esat killed my no-limits accopunt. Is there any cheaper way at all for someone living in Boyle (35miles from Sligo)...You are complaining about 40£/month flatrate for broadband...i'd be happy to pay that much for dial-up flatrate.....AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHH

Advertisement