Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 1 game problem!!

Options
  • 07-01-2002 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

I got american playstation 1 games from america. when i go to play them in my machine i get an error saying to "please format your playstation".
    is there any way these games can be played on playstations here??

thanks.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I somehow doubt that's the error you're getting...! But I do know what the problem is, I think; all Playstation discs have a code on them that only allows them to be played in a certain part of the world, be it Europe, Japan or the USA.

In order to get past this code, you'll need to get your Playstation chipped - a lot of indie games shops will do this for you, or if you're handy with a soldering iron it's very simple to do yourself. Chipping will make your warranty invalid, but it will allow you to play imported games.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

hi

Since i need to chip the playstation, how do i do this??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well lets see. First make sure you're earth strapped (you're standing in a basin of salty water) Next take the power lead from your playstation and plug it in. And then suck hard on the other end! Leave at gas mark 4 until you are a nice crispy brown.

Alternatively do a search on the following:
    www.google.com
    www.altavista.com

For words like chipping, modding, Playstation, l33t, monkey, "Please format meh playstation", donkey pr0n, etc..

You might find that the number of these sites is lessoning due to the fact that people are worried about the possiblity of being sued by Sony and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

If your ps has a parrallel port you can yous a Action replay card to by pass the ps security settings allowing you to play imported and copied games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Where do you live?

If you're in Dublin then GameZone (under the rail bridge near Connolly Station) will do it for you, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

http://www.121cdr.co.uk/

That website sells a Playstation Disc - PSxChange. This Disc comes with 1) a spring, and 2) stiff pvc coated card. Now, you put the PSxChange CD in the tray, and turn the PS on. Depending if you have a PSone , or a Playstation (original), either the spring or the card will hold the eject 'sensor' in place so the system doesn't notice when you open the tray and slip your import into place. You then press 'x' on the joypad to play.

This has obvious drawbacks - the fact that you need to swap CDs to play each game, and the fact that some multi-disc games don't work, but on the other hand, if your PS is relatively new and you don't want to break warrenty, it'd tide you over till its up. AFAIR it was £20 IRL incl shipping for it - a tad expensive.

I got the CD, I'm planning on chipping my PS tho next month - swapping is just too annoying and my warrenty is just up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Uphamizer

I had my PSX chipped it was fine untill I was playing it one night and it sounded like a PC shutting down whit a crispy noise following.

Advertisement