Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facts on RaDSL

Options
  • 07-01-2002 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Ok i recently read this a DSL site

Rate-adaptive DSL (RADSL) is the latest DSL modem technology to make it into production. It's also the most promising, since it measures the performance characteristics of t he local loop and dynamically adjusts to the highest speed possible. RADSL can operate with symmetrical or asymmetrical send/receive channels, but asymmetrical configurations yield higher bandwidths (because of Next reduction). RADSL makes service deployment easier because it can operate on a wider range of loop conditions.

RADSL has been around for about 1 year now.

I now must pose the question why Eircom are releasing ADSL in Ireland. RaDSL seems better and would be more profitable for Eircom to set up its servers for raDSL (cheaper to set up at exchange and it can reach more customers).

if Eircom took this long to release ADSL why did it not research the DSL technology and go with the most cost effective and one that will keep customers happy. (dont complain if u fall out of the ADSL 3 km reach).

No time to finish.
    bye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Well, i know nothing about radsl apart from what you posted but Id guess that its probably cheaper to roll out a proven technology (adsl) than one which is only a year old (radsl). Maybe the routers and dslams are more expensive? no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its my understanding, that they can upgrade to radsl not problem, but lets face it, it will be years before there is the deman to warnet the expense of radsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    its my understanding, that they can upgrade to radsl not problem, but lets face it, it will be years before there is the deman to warnet the expense of radsl
    I would have thought there would be plenty of demand for RADSL just like there is for ADSL. Just look at the number of people using ISDN to access the internet and paying through the nose for it.

Advertisement