Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some P4 questions

• 07-01-2002 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭

Do I need a special case and psu to build a P4 system.

Does the s478 p4 cpu have some sort of a special hsf?

With rambus rimms do you always need 2 matching sticks or can they be fitted singly

Any other useful info greatly appreciated.

ohh... where is a good place to buy rambus and a case in Ireland.

Ta.

Vex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

p4 Motherboards now do not need the backplate of the case to have special holes in it, so any decent sized atx case will do.

The psu needs to be one of the "p4 approved" ones which have 2 extra connectors which supply extra 12v power to the motherboard. One supplies power to the p4 voltage regulators, the other to an agp pro slot if your board has one. Some motherboards will run ok without these connectors plugged in, but its better to be sure. Just about any 300w psu will have these connectors now anyway, since the athlon boards can use them as well, they just don't need the p4 12v connector.

The p4 will come with a s478 retail cooler, its a good cooler, and you won't need a better one. To answer your question, yes it is a special design. The mounting mechanism is much easier and secure than the normal socket 370/462 clips.

The p4 uses dual rambus channels so yes you will have to fit them in pairs. You also need continuity rimms to fill the empty slots if you only have 2 rimms installed, these will normally come with the motherboard.

On pricing, itdirect seem to be reasonably good for cases and rambus, I'd go for the enlight 300w "p4" case, I've used it many times, and it comes with an extra 80mm exhaust fan.
    Try www.marx-computers.com and www.jaguarcompsys.ie as well.

Advertisement