Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up computers for networked games

• 07-01-2002 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I have two computers and would like to be able to network them for gaming. One computer has a 3Com network card. Am I correct in thinking I just need to get a network card for the other (~£40) plus the network cable?

- Drakar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Drakar
    I have two computers and would like to be able to network them for gaming. One computer has a 3Com network card. Am I correct in thinking I just need to get a network card for the other (~£40) plus the network cable?

- Drakar

If you don't have a hub make sure it's crossover-are you just networking the 2 machines ie not using one as agateway to the net?
    jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

No, I'm trying to save money by not having to connect to the internet for games hehe.
    By crossover you mean that the cable or the network cards need to be crossover? Will any cheapo network card do to see if it works, there seems to be a wide variation in the prices of those in Peats and Malpins

- Drak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Normally network cables are wired so you connect your computers into a hub. Since you have only 2 machines, you don't need a hub. Connecting them directly with a crossover cable is faster and cheaper. A crossover cable simply has the transmit and recieve wires crossed over so the cards can communicate directly. Get the cheapest 10/100 network card you can find, almost all of them will be based on the realtek 8139a chipset anyway.

Advertisement