Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning to sing

Options
  • 07-01-2002 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi folks.. could anyone recommend somewhere to go (dublin area) for singing lessons? (the less music theory the better at first) its one of my new year's resolutions ;-) cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

well it really depends what style of singing you do. i get my voice trained, but i get it trained classically/operatically and you will be hard pushed to find a vocal trainer to train you in any other way.
    my singing teacher is looking for student at the moment, if youre interested in that kind of training, my email is drowny1@hotmail.com but otherwise i have no idea where to ask around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dan

thanks for that but i don't know if classical training is what i'm looking for.. basically, i can already (sort of) sing and i want to improve on what little is there and also gain more confidence.. i suppose i want to improve my range, control vibrato, stay in key, learn proper breathing techniques.. it's hard to say what i'm looking for when i know very little about it! thanks again ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭skittles

There's plenty of people out there teaching vocal techniques. I'm sure a look through the golden pages would be a good place to start. There's also plenty of resources online(getsigned.com). Making music magazine(free in Music maker etc) offers a periodical article dedicated to vocalists. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm...

I'm considering getting vocal training.

I'm getting my band together, getting songs written, and recruiting members... I'm taking care of the guitars and vocals, but I don't know how to sing exactly...

My music is Black Metal, so I want to get the proper Opera vocal style like Ihsahn, Vintersong and all them.
    I need a lot of vocal range for what I have in mind though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭manofspeed

I suggest you go to the Parnell School of Music (in golden pages). Hassle free, non-traditional and more modern-music orientated. Very, very good - and ask for Rachel when you get there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cannygirl

the parnell is the place to go. very laid back and friendly, which is cool because many of these places are soooooo daunting! and rachel does rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Hmmmm that sounds good. Are the voice classes in a group of one on one? And is it expensive?

is quite expensive but so are most of the other places,its in the £40-£50 range i think but not sure. if its still the old format then you start out with one to one classes and then when you're ready you join a group class, which is deadly craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

would you people ever do something more interesting with your lives, youre all *************** trying to follow in other people's footsteps, would you ever follow in your OWN.

"i'm an "artiste", bohemian, and intellectual, i'm in college but i have an ambition to be just like ______(fill in name here)"
    (said in an "oh i'm a struggling artist, yet student...NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME" kind of voice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

That's odd, it makes me curious about what you do with your life that makes you feel superior

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

Surely, learning how to use your own voice properly is better than mimicing the voices already out there, and the best way to find your own voice and sound is to get lessons!
    Whats wrong with people wanting to sing anyway, its nothing to do with being bohemian, being in college or moaning about how no one understands them.....personally if people want to learn something new regardless, I'd take that to be doing something productive with there lives, something interesting. Loads of people learn new things for varity of reasons so don't be so quick to judge!

bitterness is a terrible disease and a very hard one to cure!
    a)no one mentioned wanting to sing like anyone else.
    b)being in college isnt exactly a slag, except to those who are bitter because they didnt get in!
    c)the parnell teaches you to get rid of accents that people develop lisening to artists from america and the uk, therefore developing you own sound.
    d)cop on!
    love ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by jonny
    would you people ever do something more interesting with your lives, youre all *************** trying to follow in other people's footsteps, would you ever follow in your OWN.

"i'm an "artiste", bohemian, and intellectual, i'm in college but i have an ambition to be just like ______(fill in name here)"
    (said in an "oh i'm a struggling artist, yet student...NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME" kind of voice)

You're a fúckin eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The Parnell? I used to work there!

jonny I think you've just been awarded muppet of the month!

What a dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

is that all you've got??!!

COME ON!!!

i love the muppets:cool:

i AM superior. you don't exist to me. that's all, and i'll make of you what i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dan

he's a child looking for attention. that showed us eh jonny? hey, either address the points made by pixe and cannygirl or sod off to your superior little world. thanks for the info folks, i'll be on to the parnell school directly, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Even if he is a child looking for attention he's still a muppet!

Down in fraggle rock

Grab a fraggle by the co...........

Dirty minds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I said "what you do with your life that makes you feel superior?"

Advertisement