Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reality Dysfunction, Hamilton.

Options
  • 07-01-2002 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely stunning! A masterpiece of modern sci-fi! And the the rest of the trilogy is apparently equally exceptional. I recommend this book to any sci-fi fan, esp those with a taste for a little techie detail!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd mostly agree.

Reality Disfunction is a piece of class Science Fiction - some of the best Sci Fi I've read since the Gap series (which is, IMHO, the best SciFi o f the 90s).

Unfortunately, for me, one of the main story arcs in the second book (The Neutronium Alchemist) was just a little bit silly, and became too major a story line for my liking.

However, in The Naked God, Mr. Hamilton redeems himself totally, writing a book which is on par with the first in its quality.

Long, sometimes a bit dragged out, but in general, its gripping stuff, which is well written, and full of complex characters. I like it.

There are other ancillary books set in the same universe, but I havent gotten around to them.

If you want something meaty, give it a shot.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by bonkey
    the Gap series (which is, IMHO, the best SciFi o f the 90s).

agreed.
    you have redeemed yourself and have been upgraded to peon status in the whitewashman list of board.ie users.
    you are now in 17th place.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭joev

If the Nightsdawn trilogy and the GAP series are to your liking, then you should look at the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons and *all* the Ken McCleod books.

Also, Greg Bear's Forge of God and Anvil of Stars.

If you're in the mind for something a little off kilter, Micheal Marshall Smiths stuff is superb at twisting esoterica and sci-ti together in strange ways :)

And for using maths and physics to completely screw up your head, nobody beats Greg Egan :)

On another note: Good to see Orson Scott Card return to the Enders series (away from that preachy mormon ****e he's been doing for years) with Enders Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon.... IMO better than the original Enders books.

joev.

P.S. I love the GAP, but I think the Hyperion Cantos has the edge as best Sci-Fi of the 90's

Originally posted by joev
    On another note: Good to see Orson Scott Card return to the Enders series (away from that preachy mormon ****e he's been doing for years) with Enders Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon.... IMO better than the original Enders books.

Half of the first Ender series *was* that preachy mormon sh1te he's been doing for year.

I'll give Hyperion second place after the Gap - mostly because its two sets of two-part stories which I would usually rate seperately, rather than one story.

Egan, Bear, Smith - yeah - all good (although GB has written some complete pants as well as some good stuff).

McLeod....dunno....havent read him yet. I didnt know Highlander was SciFi ;)

jc

Half of the first Ender series *was* that preachy mormon sh1te he's been doing for year.

Yup.. .'Speaker for the Dead' and 'Xenocide' started getting into it but were still readable...

On the OSC thing, one book I *definitely* recommend, especially if you liked the movie, is "The Abyss". He wrote it based on the screenplay (in close collab with James Cameron) but it really adds so much depth to the movie that the two really compliment each other superbly.

I'll give Hyperion second place after the Gap - mostly because its two sets of two-part stories which I would usually rate seperately, rather than one story.

Agreed, I would say that as novels/series the GAP is better, but as Sci-Fi, Hyperion is better... stretches the brain a bit more.

I firmly believe that the GAP series is one of the best constructed stories I've ever read.

Egan, Bear, Smith - yeah - all good (although GB has written some complete pants as well as some good stuff).

Oh aye. Blood Music.... agggghhhh.... save us!

In his defence though, he recently re-visited the genetics theme of Blood Music in Darwins Radio, which is 100 times better.

McLeod....dunno....havent read him yet. I didnt know Highlander was SciFi ;)

Philistine :)

Do yourelf a favour and read "Star Faction" - Excellent debut.

Speaking of which... Jack McDevitt, his debut was "Hercules Text" which was splendid... has he written anything but Cack since? I don't think so... seems like a 'peak too soon' to me :)

joev.

Course, I could just shout this stuff across the room at you :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by joev
    Course, I could just shout this stuff across the room at you :)

But then you might miss a chance to get elevated to peon status by WWM like I did....or I may miss an opportunoty to be demoted again.

While I remain a peon, you may continue to bask in my reflected glory :)

jc

p.s. Maybe we should get back on topic ;)

But then you might miss a chance to get elevated to peon status by WWM like I did....or I may miss an opportunoty to be demoted again.

So I have a new life goal...

Either
    (A) Gain Peon standing

or

(B) Drag u back down to my level....

B seems easier :)

While I remain a peon, you may continue to bask in my reflected glory :)

Why, when I can just bask directly in WWM's godlike aura :)

p.s. Maybe we should get back on topic ;)

Yup... but just before I do... 2 important ones...

Vernor Vinges "Fires upon the Deep" and "Across Realtime" - Brilliant read.

David Brin's "Uplift Saga" (2 trilogys). Excellent.

Back to NightsDawn.. Reality Dysfunction is super as is Naked God... the Neutronuim Alchemist is pretty poor, and I almost didn't buy N.G. because of it... however, N.G. redeems the series nicely :)

joev.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

- I'd agree with what was said with about The Reality Dysfunction + also his Mindstar Rising trilogy is also vg, though not set in the same universe.

- Re: Gap, I'd have to disagree, read the first of the series years ago and just did not click for me. But, as ye give it such good reviews I might give it a 2nd go :)

Manach - the first book in the Gap Series is its only really weak point, and once you get into the series, you start realising that the first book wasnt half as weak as it initially seemed.

I would suggest sticking through the second book. If it still doesnt gel, then give up :)

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Loved The Reality Dysfunction.. Kinda lost it a bit in The Neutronium Alchemist. Was going to give the third book a miss (I *hate* doing that!), but based on the feeback here, might just have to pick it up...

Anyone read the Tad Williams 'Otherland' series? I've read the first three, and can't wait to read the final book.

I previously read some other Tad Williams SF/fantasy (Memory, sorrow, thorn) which really turned me off the author, but the Otherland series is excellent, and well worth reading..

I'm also a big fan of the Orson Scott Card Ender novels. Anyone read 'Shadow of the Hegemon' Yet?

Here's my current list of wanna read's, but haven't got around to them yet:
    The caves of Steel - Isaac Asimov
    Look to windward - Ian M Banks
    Eon - Greg Bear
    Shadow of the Hegemon - Orson Scott Card
    The Songs of Distant Earth - Arthur C. Clarke
    Gardens of the Moon: a Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson
    Ubik - Philip K Dick
    Tales of the Rift War Book 1: Honoured Enemy - Raymond E. Feist, William Forstchen
    Ravenheart - David Gemmell
    Count Zero - William Gibson
    The Naked God - Peter F. Hamilton
    Fallen Dragon - Peter F. Hamilton
    West of Eden - Harry Harrison
    The Ringworld Engineers - Larry Niven
    The Book of Skulls - Robert Silverberg
    The Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons
    The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
    Otherland IV: Sea of Silver Light - Tad Williams
    The Book of the New Sun Vol 1: Shadow and Claw - Gene Wolfe

• Advertisement