Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the excuse from dixions

• 25-08-2000 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

because you let one of are staff who was not a fully trained computer engeneer open your computer we have revoked your warrinty

that was what was said to a guy who walked into the place im working . so how do you think thats going to stand in court ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

are you refering to a dixons employee who opened the machine?

thats their fault.
    theres no way unless its printed on the guys jumper that the customer is going to know theyre qualified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK I work in a computer reseller and that has to be the lamest excuse ever. Are you saying that Dizons said they will not cover your warranty because one of their employees opened the system and he wasn't qualified to do so. If that is the case raise hell. If this system hasn't worked correctly from day one then ask for a replacement or a refund. Do not be afraid to make a scene in the showroom, try to stand close to the actual PC sales area when you are complaining to the manager/supervisor/spotty sales muppet tehy will listen to you far more intently there. If they agree to anything get it in writing and try and document everything. I'll look at your original post again to see if I can think of anything else but if you have more details post them here.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well this is it were holding the pc ( im working in a pc place ) and weve been told to hold it and do nothing with it untill we have to bring it to the court . i just cant believe what they said . its also been acting up since day one and at mo is only giving a c: due to the fact that there restor to factory defaults disk dident work properly and failed to install windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hmm, not only is that BS but you most definatly have a case.

Even if you opened the machine you don't invalidate your warranty. I've done that and gotten hassle from Repair guys (I would remove the hard drives to stop them copying stuff, which most do). But in the end they have to fix it if it's still under warranty.

If they said this in writing as well, I'd ring a newspaper and send them a copy of the letter.

If the employee wasn't qualified they either should not be working there or be aware of the fact that they are costing you money by opening the machine.

And do what Gandalf says, also get peoples names and write them down and what each person said.

If you wanted to be really *****y, I would ask for the qualifactions of the repair guys. You may find a lot of them don't have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Hobbes i think what you just said is very unfair, just because someone doesn't have a peace of paper to say that they can open a PC and tell which is the cpu and which is the chip-set does't mean that they can't do it. I my self don't have a peace of paper saying that(one of the probs with trying to get a job in IT) i know these things and yet i can do it almost as well as anyone with one (ok i still can't set up a J-45 connecter) but i can set up networks and pc's. and there are a lot of ppl like that. trying to do something with computers and are being held back by ppl who think like that.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i think the difference there sutty is that with that piece of paper the customer/whatever has the assurance that the repairer knows what he's doing.
    and thats a big factor... regardless of the repairers actual knowledge he has the confidence of the consumer to be able to sort problems out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

yeah sutty regardless of what you think, and how ****ty it is, that all important vital piece of paper makes a huge difference.

And elexes, if I were you I would go into that store with a solicitor, and I would cause such a scene that they wouldn't know what hit 'em (well maybe a solicitor might be a bit costly, but if you are getting no joy alone, bring one). Thats ****in mental, and I definitely think that you should not let them away with it, *******s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by sutty:
    (look up)

Sutty it wasn't a poke at the people working there. I know 12 year olds who can strip and rebuild a machine from scratch and tell you straight off what's wrong with it.

The point I'm getting across is if a company is going to use "Unqualified Technician" as thier defense they better make dammed sure the people working in the repair room are qualified.

I could care less if a repair guy had a peace of paper or not. I would care that if the person messed up the machine then him/his company is then liable to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sutty, I think hobbes was referring to the ordinary dixons worker who doesnt have a clue about computers. I dont have a piece of paper either, but I don't care because I know more than anyone in dixons, and what I have found is that people will eventually trust you without a piece of paper if you do a good job, and you get extra customers by word of mouth, because you do a better job for less money. Btw I really hate di

Sutty, I think hobbes was referring to the ordinary dixons worker who doesnt have a clue about computers. I dont have a piece of paper either, but I don't care because I know more than anyone in dixons, and what I have found is that people will eventually trust you without a piece of paper if you do a good job, and you get extra customers by word of mouth, because you do a better job for less money. Btw I really hate dixons, and would love to launch a petition against them or something. Or a flotilla

• Advertisement

"in other news today dixions stores all over dublin were hit with massive electrical probloms which led to huge fires . poliece are no longer treating it as uspicious after talking to the last man to walk out of the stores with a empty petrol can .( gerry ) " o wouldent that be fun smile.gif

lol, a new purpose for the ira, annihilating dixons/currys/pcworld

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I remember reading in a UK PC mag about a year ago about a similar situation with Dixons and an Irish guy, the UK magasine gave Dixons a 'nice' write up and handled the matter from start to finish for the Irish guy. Maybe you should do the same, that way you'll get everything sorted much faster, you won't have the headaches and Dixons will get the publicity they deserve.

Blade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Any update on this. Just curious to see if Dixons changed their tune yet!!!

Gandalf.

they havent said anything yet . there confering r somthn with some office . but the case is still going ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

nail them elexes. on a related note- phil are u still owed money by a british electrical retailer in dublin?

yes, they are swindling us as I speak. I think next time we should bring andy in with a rocket launcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Andy fully endorses all products sold by Dixions.

They are a quality company who only care about their costomers and not silly things like profit margins.

I suggest you all do all your shopping in Dixions. Not just electronics either, they will soon be bringing out a winter fashion line which is both trendy and affordable.

/me counts his bribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

no, i think he should come in with a shiny tracksuit and baseball cap on looking like a right scumbag, carrying a ghettoblaster over his shouolders. he shouold go up to a particular short man from cork and ask, "eeeeh, have ya go' eny mixirs mista'?"

when rebutted rudely, he should go, "fu<kin ba5tard" under his breath and turn on tchikovsky really loud on his cd player, because he was, remember, a "poofter"

http://www.challenge-ie.com/columns/excelsior

Advertisement