Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap operating systems

• 07-01-2002 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

im buildin a pc right now and i intend to get windows xp later this week but one of my friends was sayin that students get some kind of discount on os's
    is this true and if so how where do i go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You buy an "academic edition". The box doesn't contain anything except a form to fill out, send off and get your software by post.

Eligible (as far as I remember): full-time students of eligible institutions (basically all public colleges, all secondary and primary schools), parents of the same and "educators" (presumably people who work in the eligible places)

Worth getting - as far as I remember Office 2000 Premium was only about 125 Irish. Either way it was far cheaper than getting the normal version. I saw the OS pack quoted on jungle for 45 UK pounds a while back.

It's full software you're getting obviously, not a demo or whatever (just stating the obvious)

The OS pack used come with a choice of 2000 or 98 (I think both were upgrades, can;t remember), don't know if XP is available as an option.

There's also a Visual Studio product. Might be the last-but-one versions but if you're a student looking to purchase, that's probably what you're using in college anyway.

I've seen it in Compustore so most big stores shoudl have it or know where to get it.

Let us know about pricing if you can, I'd be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Try MicroMail - http://www.micromail.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

thanks that really sorted a lot out for me if i find out what your looking for ill let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Of course, you could always get some-one to burn you the ISO's for a linux distro, which of course is completely free.

Advertisement