Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GeForce3 - Best Price?

• 07-01-2002 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I'm looking for a GeForce3 Titanium 500 64MB DDR to give myself a much-needed performance boost (right now I'm using an old ATi Radeon 32mb SDR) but I haven't been able to find it anywhere for a good price lately... I consider around £300 a good price for the card... anyone seen it going for around that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

For that price? Not in this country unless it was stolen. Order it from the states maybe? Or save yourself some hassle and get a Ti200 for about £250. Easily overclockable. More than enough at the moment. RTCW runs beautifully on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

The cheapest I can find it for is £400 - €508 on Itdirect. Which isnt all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

:( I'm pretty sure I saw it for £300 in EB at one stage... should've snatched it off the shelf and bought it without hesitation but I didn't know I wanted it back then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Get a GeForce3 Ti200 unless you have money to burn.

Y'know, the Ti200 is in fact a downgraded version of the original GeForce3 chipset... no thanks. It might be tricky getting the G3 Ti500 for a good price but I'm sure it'll be worth every cent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If you work for an IT-oriented company that's not too big (or else you know the guys responsible for ordering h/w), try seeing if they can't order it for you. You'll get it less VAT, and probably less then the street price( - VAT) anyway!

Might be a long shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

what determines the speed of the geforce series is the memory speed, NOT the core clock (unless it's stupidly low like 100mhz or something), the Ti 200 has a memory speed of 200mhz DDR

the Ti 500 has a memory speed of 250/260mhz DDR.

the Ti 200 should really be called the Ti 400, but then the 500 doesn't sound as good does it?

+ u can easily overclock a Ti200 to Ti500 levels, + save half your money and get a faster chip, better speakers, more ram, you know, something that'll actually make a big difference :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by astrofool

+ u can easily overclock a Ti200 to Ti500 levels, + save half your money and get a faster chip, better speakers, more ram, you know, something that'll actually make a big difference :p

really ??
    how easy
    and that said can u overclock a ti 500 to like the levels of a ti 700 (if there was such a thing) ?

I rather playing it safe, I'm not into overclocking, at least not yet... I can't imagine it being too humourous realising that the PC case smells like freshly-made toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b4k4^2

Ah lads, overclocking is easy if you're careful. astrofool is right, Ti200 is very easily overclockable. Even comes with it's own overclocking settings (just a simple little regedit) coutesy of Nvidia. Have my Ti200 overclocked to regular Geforce 3 speeds about. Just need to get a temp monitor and a throw out the ****ty little fan that Creative gave me and slap on an old socket 370 hsf :D.

• Advertisement

the Ti 500 is pretty much at the edge of how far Nvidia's chips will go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The ti200 offers more than enough performance, particularly when you can clock it up to ti500 speeds as astrofool has mentioned.

I think the geforce3 ti500 has a decent bit of headroom though astrofool, I managed to clock a creative ti500 up to 295/600 with standard cooling.

im sold
    il order a gf3 ti 500 tomrrow :)

I'm still hesitant about overclocking - it just wouldn't be worth it if something went wrong in the end... :eek:

Where are you ordering your G3 Ti500 from, StrataGIST?

i was gonna say about Ti 600 is as far as they'd go :p

thing about the memory chips tho, is that even adding supercooling doesn't make them overclock much better

as soon as i get all the nasty business finished with overclockers.co.uk il get a Hercules 3D Prophet III Ti500 64MB DR AGP OEM DVI VO (Quicklinx code is : 13VSWS) for about SGT£232.00 which comes to a grand total of IR£372.70 inc vat and delvery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Lyconix
    Y'know, the Ti200 is in fact a downgraded version of the original GeForce3 chipset... no thanks. It might be tricky getting the G3 Ti500 for a good price but I'm sure it'll be worth every cent...
    Argh.

The ONLY (!) ONLY(!) difference between most GeForce 3 Ti200s, originals and Ti500s is clock speed (and price, obviously). Now, some Ti200's will have slighter slower RAM chips, and some Ti500's will have slightly faster, but you still get all the features.

Ti500 is only worth it if you have money to BURN (just like an XP2000+ or Northwood 2.2GHz ATM)

the geforce 4 is being announced end of january, do I see a huge price drop for the geforce 3 Ti line? and the realisation of the stupidity of getting a Ti 200 over a Ti 500....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Try www.pricewatch.co.uk and type in geforce 3 in the search box.Gives you a list of all the cards available and prices.eg.there are geforce 3 ti 200 available for 143.52 & 169.99 sterling.Most of these are well known online shops.Dabs/jungle.

Or else try www.tekheads.co.uk.Ive just picked up a geforce 2 ti for £68.00 sterling + vat + delivery which comes to just over 100 euro.Cheap eh????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

An option would be to contact the guys at www.shop4memory.com - they are mainly memory suppliers, but I know they do CPU's, graphic cards, etc. also.

Send them off a mail and see what they have to offer....

• Advertisement
Advertisement