Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TodayFM- The Last Word: Telecomms discussion earlier this evening

Options
  • 08-01-2002 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Was anyone else listening to "The Last Word" on Today FM just before 7pm earlier this evening?

(Apologies but i was just leaving work and on the dart trying to listen to my walkman :rolleyes: )

The stand in for Eamon Dunphy was interviewing a head guy from Iona , Chris Something-or-Other, who is giving a talk this week on Ireland as an e-hub. i think..but i did catch that it costs €12.70 !!!! :D

Basically the part of the conversation i caught was this guy Chris Explaining how there was plenty of bandwidth coming into the country but not actually getting distributed properly. Also that telcos were slow in rolling it out.
    He also called on politicians to make a stand to kick start the proper mass use of our broad band resources like theyt did in Denmark.

SO....the whole point of this thread is just to let people know that broadband issuse ARE begining to make it into mainstream news and media (as with the Irish Times article earlier this week), even if it was only the last 10/15 mins of the show.

And also to ask if anyone else heard this discussion and if they could please do a better job than me of explaining the details of the discussion. :D

oh and if anyone could find some sound bites from the program, t'would just be the dogs boll*x altogether! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I turned off earlier on after Navans man sketch about politicians taking it up the ass. It wasn't very amusing at all and the rest of the show lost all credibility for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 plum

I didn't hear it but Chris Horn from Iona is giving the e-hub talk at tonight's First Tuesday event and that costs €12.70

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

At the moment there is 95% unlit fibre to most areas of the country
    That's a useful stat.. do you have a source we can quote?
    Oh and I read that Global Crossing is going under
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by plum
    I didn't hear it but Chris Horn from Iona is giving the e-hub talk at tonight's First Tuesday event and that costs €12.70

Yup, thats the guy, and the talk alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I didn't hear it but Chris Horn from Iona is giving the e-hub talk

yeah - I'm going to that. I'll let you know what he said for euro (can't find the symbol) 5.01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

the talk was interesting - they would have kept him there for hours in the QnA afterwards

the report (big public version) is available at the dublin chamber of commerce site as a pdf called "Dublin as a World Class eCity"

there is a smaller private verison which is more controlled. national security you know

it was a point made several times that the report applied to ireland as well as dublin

next months speaker at FT is ... Ms Etain Doyle :eek: when this was announced, several people made jokes about the need for her security :)

Advertisement