Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad news for powernet

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Grrrrr, those Fixed Wireless Licenses should have a clause in them stating that they have to supply home users as well.

Or reuse the old Formus License and ensure the new holder has to provide to home users. I'm sure some company might be willing to use the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So in reality we are going backwards with regard to Home based broadband.

I'm surprised that the license that Choras has doesn't allocate a percentage of home installations or at very minimum make a provision that they have to make this service available to home users.

This just shows the need for everyone here to start sending letters to their local TD's and Government ministers. We have to educate them to the fact that Ireland is been left behind. I have already got a few responses to the letter that I sent out and I will post up a summary of these when I receive more replies.

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

So in reality we are going backwards with regard to Home based broadband.

Yip. Although of course this shouldn't be news. We started going backward when IrelandOffline was formed; that is, when Esat dropped 10% of their users and suspended new subscriptions indefinitely. Now we're just picking up speed. Roll on IrishWAN. Take it off them and distribute it at cost, see how they like them apples.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unstable

great news, aint it........ whatever happened to the idea of powernet in dublin ??
    god, that chorus company is full of bull

Course, it should hardly be surprising either, considering the link between Eircom and Chorus, a certain "Sir" Tony O'Reilly. I'll let someone else do the rant on that one today. What were you /thinking/ ODTR?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Yo

<rant>

TORD or SiTORD ( Tony O Reilly (Doctor) or Sir Tony O Reilly (Doctor) ) as he is known is what frightens Mary O'Rourke. I must abbreviate this because the official Sir AJax or something O Reilly with Ph.Litts and all the rest is 2 long really.

Twould take the merest twitch of displeasure making itself visible on his countenance to have his minions castigating poor old Biddy O Rourke and her party till the election was over. Bertie would never have her in cabinet again.

I stated clearly in a thread a few months back that there would be no Telecommunications Bill to strengthen the hand of the ODTR this side of an election. TORD is trying to offload Chorus at the moment and will not want this to be interfered with. He is locked into Eircom for 5-8 years according to rumours.

I note too that the craven European commission has not complained (nor has it been brought to their attention) that TORD and his associates own over 90% of the local loops in Ireland and that NTL own most of the rest, unbundling me hole!

The fact that Chorus know as much about customer service as a dog knows about his father is neither here nor there.

TORD did not set them up in order to be a shining beacon of caring and effective customer service, he set them up to help him towards his second Billion, they have performed lamentably, he will not repeat this mistake with €ircon!

</rant>

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Hmm intersting premis, what happened to IT?

I used to work for Tech Support for Gateway so in theory I should be a bitter and twisted techie whinging about the glory years of techie revolution over my 2 year old Gateway PC, not so, "somehow don't ask me?" I managed to get a job as a programmer in the midst of the collapse of Gateway, hmmm how did that happen?

A few months ago, before the demise of Gateway, some guy in the USA (who probably has difficulty finding the start button) was presented with a spread sheet which showed that Europe, Middle-East and Africa collectively had dropped 10% more sales than the North American Gateway market. So the High IQ yank said... "oh we had better pull out of Europe the Mid East and Africa collectively and abandon our highly lucrative UK/Irish market". Hmm says me, are you stupid? Over 50% of Gateway's business in this region was with the UK/Irish market, so sure the continent is costing too much, as if you do any business there anyway??

So the Irish equivalent of the Big Brained boardroom yanks notice that Gateway is becoming a casaulty of a "mostly" passed global recession, and panic. For them Gateway is a symbol of national economic prowess, after all that's where Bill Clinton visted wasn't it? The Errorcom and IOFFLINE board of management break out their "End is Nigh" spread sheets and decide that the millions they had invested in IT was wasted, that every company that "owned" a computer system was going to go bust and they had better recoup their money from their investments, before <insert management-type thought> because "oh my gawd" Gateway closed down.

Hmmm heres a newsflash, Gateway may have closed, but all those crackingly good looking Techie women weren't put out of jobs, nope, they were head hunted and by all accounts most of Tech support migrated to a "single" single company, which by my arithmatic puts the supposed job losses from Gateway down from 800 to about 600 and probably a whole lot less than 600 if nearly the entire Tech Supp department got taken on no? I mean if so many people got taken on by "one" company so quickly, if I with my relative inexperience in my current field got taken on in the midst of IT anarchy, is it possible that the IT crash has been blown slightly out of proportion? Is it possible that management guys in IT big Telecom firms who have liquid lunch's and don't know one end of a PC from another, may be a bit out of touch with what is actually going on in the IT industry and that those same management boys are under the mistaken impression that all of a sudden the vast Pc market and IT industry has dried up?
    Me thinks maybe.
    I digress.

Hmm me thinks that some people got themselves into headstaggers because the American economy fell on it's face, but the Irish one didn't, not really. Now the boys in boardrooms running techie companies either know this fact, in which case they are probably head hunting former Gateway techies(more power to them), or the boys in the board rooms are managment types and haven't clue one about the computer industry and are still running scared from a collapse that didn't really happen.

/Phasers on stun.
    Oh and they faked the landing of the Mars Lunar Rover, in case you missed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

errrrr...wtf? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Beat me to it Dustaz !!

Typedef talk about going off-topic, I think you've actually gone off-planet :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

and out of the solar system :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

No matter what you say... the landings were faked, it was really a ruse to cover an alien invasion, I have proof!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

heheh, my mother used to say that the landings on the moon were fake.. all done in a hollywood studio...

anyone who wants to go OT, this is your chance .... cause i aint waisting much more time on chorus !

<adam tries to push everyone back on-topic>

<push>

adam

Advertisement