Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help (internet), Please!

• 08-01-2002 4:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

I can't get onto the 'net from home, When I connect ISP (regardless which ISP)
    It connects to the exchange (that is it my modem connects to the # on the other side) but will not connect to a server.
    There are no conflicts on my system and the modem is wprking fine as above it connects to the ISP#.
    If you've any Ideas Please let me know!
    Thx.
    Shinobi.
    :confused::(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Any error messages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's connecting to a number and then cutting you off, then either you have the wrong number or the wrong username/password in your DUN settings :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

for a more basic test - to see if the modem and phone line are working alright use hyperterminal (start->run->hypertrm)

type in a name - test - hit ok
    then dont put in anythign there cept the com port of your modem at the bottom - hit OK

chnage the BPS to 57600, the rest is fine - hit ok

now for some comamnds

ATZ (enter)
    this shood get an 'OK'

then put in....

ATX1DT(ISP NUMBER) (enter)- no brackets

now if it says somehing like 'no carrier' or 'no dialtone' then either the modem or the fone line is b0rked - usually the fone line - get it cheaked and get the GAIN increaced

it if says 'delayed' the drievrs need updating
    if it say 'login' then ur laughing and the modem/phone line are fine :)

let us know what u get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Connects to the ISP # fine and stays connected, But It will not
    log onto any server it just keeps giving some DNS error message after a few minutes of trying to connect to a server and is still connected to the ISP exchange #.
    All help greatly appreciated.:( :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, try and give us a clearer picture here. What OS? What exact error msgs are you getting? If it's a DNS error with ALL isp's you try to use, it may be a problem in your networking control panel(I'm assuming you're using Win98). Go in there and....um....it's very long and complicated. Find something to do with TCP/IP and click on Settings/Properties, and make sure everything in there is set to automatic. I'd be clearer, but I'm on an unpriviledged WinNt account here.

• Advertisement

Yes the OS is Win98 se, The Internet has worked on the PC
    in the past. I was using the PC but I hadn't used the internet on it for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by shinobi
    Yes the OS is Win98 se, The Internet has worked on the PC
    in the past. I was using the PC but I hadn't used the internet on it for some time.

tcp-ip stack is possible corrupt-or perhaps someone deleted some files from your pc (virus)
    In your situation I would go for the big kill-go to network control panel-remove everything-adapters and protocols.
    Reboot
    Go back to network control panel and add
    tcp/ip
    dial up adapter
    -you may need win 98 cd
    reboot
    and try again..
    jd

JD/All

Thx for all of the info so far.
    If you could give me some details on exactly what to do..... I'd be more than fulgrateful.
    It's quite a bizzare one...

Thx,
    Shinobi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by shinobi
    JD/All

Thx for all of the info so far.
    If you could give me some details on exactly what to do..... I'd be more than fulgrateful.
    It's quite a bizzare one...

Thx,
    Shinobi.

click start then settings then control panel-then network
    then follow the instructions above (i'm on w2000 which is different)
    jd

Advertisement