Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what gives you the biggest buzz in your job?

• 08-01-2002 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

i work as a field support engineer for an IT contract company.
    i go to places that need cover for a day, a week, a fortnight, a month, whatever and i stay there and i generally do the work of desktop support/network admin/network engineer/facilities type person/tea maker/whatever.

its, um, an unusual role as every day is completely different.
    sometimes a company will want me to do project work.
    for example, im cleaning up someones network at the moment.

the joy for me however is that im still very new to this whole industry, hence all the questions oin the OS board :)

but when you are doing something, and you work it out and it works, the sense of achievment is absolutely incredible. it will put me on a high for the rest of the day.

so im jjust curious about what it is that keeps people going back into work every day (apart from money).

so, how gets a kick out of building a better big mac :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Same thing. Especially if it's something entirely new, like setting up IE to work through a firewall and this lan modem I just set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

The Coffee, it's addictive...*nervous tick*...help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well I don't have a job anymore. The jobs I used to have involved me being paranoid, cynical and argumentative. That's why I left.

However, I did get a buzz out of:

once making £240,000 in 14 weeks
    finding other peoples mistakes
    finishing major parts of project (adrenelin rush)
    working 86 hours in a week
    contributing beyond my position (showing up my boss)
    other people quoting my work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I provide support for IT managers (mainly) servers and the likes, basically I dont do squat all day long!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm a barman, and it's difficult to choose a high point in the working night... - all the same, I think I'll go for the time of night when we've gotten everybody out and finished cleaning up and prepping for the next day when we all sit down for a quiet relaxing pint before heading home ourselves.

Lovely.

Ireland qualifying for the world cup and the place going bonkers was cool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Unfortunately the best thing about my job is going home in the evening. And even that's a bit of a let down as I only have to come back in the morning or on Monday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Problem solving gives me a buzz. Of course since it's a McJob and the problems are small - it's not a big buzz. Always nice to think your way out of a problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

The bandwidth. Nice 26mb line. Free phonecalls. Other than that I'm treated like **** and am payed just above minimum wage.

As a joke I'd put down:
    The poor security in the store room. A copied master key. Knowing the location of the videorecorder.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Doing bold things such as robbing and drinking on the job :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

going home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

converting the sales team's daily reports to handle euros 3 months before euro is even introduced. booya!!

no seriously, that was only done out of boredom and pity cause i was leaving the next day and didnt know if they were going to cope with the euro knowing who they work for. :)

other then that, being proud of one's work (websites), when they are done knowing you did a good and honest job is the best feeling.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I enjoy the people I work with, the industry I work in and I get a buzz out of the work I do, as I've always enjoyed writing.

And of course, there's nothing to get the blood pumping like the imminent feeling that you're about to be shut down. Real suspenseful-like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Shinji

And of course, there's nothing to get the blood pumping like the imminent feeling that you're about to be shut down. Real suspenseful-like.

hahaha, i had that in gateway.
    they still shut down of course :)
    thank god, the boot up the arse was just what i needed to go out and get myself he job i have now in a nnother country.

rob, when are we meeting for drinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I do some work with underprivillaged and do work with suicidal children in Derry. Its a great buzz when u "reach" one of them thats particularly troublesome or just basically making them laugh and be happy likes.

I also do multimedia authoring. I obviously like that final look buzz and getting feedback (good or bad) from people.

I'm also making a computer game at the moment which is an obvious buzz seeing your contributions being thrown into place like.

I... to be quite honest... would like to concentrate on ONE of the above areas but I can't at the moment due to obligations etc...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Despite working for an organisation that seems to view it's mission in life as signing forms err any product gets release,

that I code, and watch my conceptions come to fruitition on the PC, + they pay me for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

the imminent feeling that you're about to be shut down. Real suspenseful-like.
    I too had that for a long while. I was job hunting for a good long time. Everyone knew the place I worked for was ****ed, we joked about it all the time! I lasted 2 rounds of serious layoff's. We had all these sales people who thought they rocked, that the sun shone out of there arses, and a very very small amount of customers (ie: they could not sell sand to the arabs) {not that Im bitter and twisted or anything} - therefore the parent shut us down...

Im lucky as **** me, I always fall on my feet - and I was in the process of leaving anyway. I had done a first and had an appointment for a second interview for my dream job here in London. Given that I had told no one I was leaving I got the (****) redundancy package they paid out.

Im now doing my dream job in the coolest company on this planet! Im actually pissed off its the weekend and I cant be in work - anyone who knows me will know how ****ed up that is for me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I work for a certain international airline (not the flag carrier :) ) and whilst I do enjoy my work I definately get the most satisfaction from flying first-class Heathrow to *whereever* for around $100 (vs. $3000-$6000!).

Definately makes up for the relatively poor money. :D I worked out last year that had I paid full-fare for the traveling I did it would have topped out in excess of $23000!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    so im jjust curious about what it is that keeps people going back into work every day (apart from money).
    the fact that I get to read boards during the day...

It's also good when you work in IS to work for a company where 99% of the employees are computer literate.

I also got sent to NY for a weeks training last year too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Used to work in Tech Support and it was a great buzz figuring things out on your own and havin everything sorted when the boss came back...when he thought I couldnt do it!

Am now working in a pub and like Bard, the best time is when all the punters have gone home , I have a nice Btl. of Warsteiner (or 2) and go home. Then spend 3 - 4 hours playin CS then fall into bed at 6am only to get up at Midday and go back to work!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

When i was workin, I.T. tech, i enjoyed solveing new problems, on my first day sorted out a laptop they were pissin around with for a month n couldn't figure out. Felt good that day :)

general crack in work, ya we were a bunch of junkies n got high all the time LOL (sarcasim, for use of word crack, in case a possible future employer is reading ;):D)

free internet access

on a seperate issue hey WWMan whats the story with all the new topics, tryin to livin the place up? :D hmmm maybe i should start doin that again ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There is actually a term for this - copascetic functions. (I'm pretty sure I've spelled that correctly.)

It's when something mundane and every-day that is a part of your job is something that really lights your bulbs.

This would include pretty sad things like:

Stamping things
    Opening boxes of new stuff
    Using office machinery - the binder, the franking machine, the fax machine
    Licking stamps
    Opening post
    Sweeping
    Painting things

...I could go on for hours here - anybody got anything that could be listed as a copascetic function?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah opening the post is great, until you realise that there is only one item for you and its an invite to a trade show :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Emm nothing cos I don't have one :p

Advertisement