Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Recalls new Pentium III Chip

• 29-08-2000 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Thought you lot would find this interesting :P
    Intel said today it was recalling its new Pentium III chip because it had
    discovered it could fail under a certain combination of circumstances.

The company said the recall of the chip, which was just introduced in
    late July, would have no material effect on sales or earnings. To date the
    chip has only been shipped in limited quantities.

The new 1.13 gigahertz chip, Intel's fastest, is targeted at a niche market
    of computer hobbyists and power users whose computers are running
    the most taxing applications.

Intel did not say how many chips it had shipped to date but a
    spokesman said it had only shipped to a "handful" of customers.

The company said the problem it discovered was in a circuit in the chip,
    which under the right combination of data, voltage and temperature
    conditions, could cause the chip to fail.

It said it typically takes a couple of months to make changes to the chip
    and bring it back to market.

Reuters

Gandalf.

(nicked from the Irish Times)

[This message has been edited by gandalf (edited 29-08-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Just as AMD ship their 1.1ghz Athlons smile.gif

suck it down, Intel weenies tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

i just got to say if intel chips are soooooooo much better than amd's why is it that you all ways hear of the intel chips being recalled and not amd one's?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

that doesnt mean that all the previous intel chips that intel tested properly before releasing suddenly become worse than amd's, sutty. You know how much faster a p3 is for games.

Hecate:

You stick it to the man, and buy amd, even if is slower.

Indeed smile.gif

£150 more for an extra 5fps in q3 timedemo1, I wouldnt even give it a second thought! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Hecate (edited 30-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i dont think they'll be recalling too many, considering only two or three oems actually got delivery of them.
    i seriously doubt that there were consumers who were actually using them at the time of the recall.

im an intel person myself.. hate the way they've been doing business myself but anyway
    a pentium 3 wont beat a similarly clocked thunderbird in the majority of tests.. (only in straightforward integer tests will the coppermine inch ahead)

• Advertisement

I compared an athlon and a p3 at 750mhz, with the same components, and the same q3 config file, and got 30% more fps on the p3, I explicitly said that the p3 was faster in games, its slower for some stuff, but then the athlon was designed how many years after the p6 core?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

sutty,
    do you pluck with amd just to go against the grain of your friends and be controversial or do you empathise with their "underdog" status?

http://www.challenge-ie.com/columns/excelsior

so you paid £50 then hecate! Nice one! smile.gif
    I dont think much of intels current business strategy, but I dont think I will be buying any chip for a long time, intel or amd, and I got good value for money. For £220, I got a chip which runs at a gigahertz, and has no amd incompatibility error.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 30-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

This weekend I used a K7 800 with a Geforce 2. I was expecting 142fps solid but it dropped to 80fps in places. Not really acceptable when your trying to do those little trick jumps all the time.

I know a p3 800 would have given me the 142fps which lets you jump further and higher.

In fairness however I capped my fps at 120 and was able to do MOST of the jumps.

But what exactly is wrong with Athlons?

I suspect people expect performance tradeoffs because of their lower prices in comparison to their Intel counterparts.

I'm speaking from a biased viewpoint here but I've never come across any serious problems or compatibility issues with the Athlon I've been running for the past 2 months, it booted up first time, all games and apps run incredibly fast, all in all I'm very satisfied with it.

Most of these compatibility issues are due to the K7's high power consumption and heat emmissions. And also human error in selecting unapproved/dodgy components that lead to all manner of errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Originally posted by Gerry:
    I compared an athlon and a p3 at 750mhz, with the same components, and the same q3 config file, and got 30% more fps on the p3, I explicitly said that the p3 was faster in games, its slower for some stuff, but then the athlon was designed how many years after the p6 core?

Just to put Gerry's comment into perspective, <a href="http://www.2cpu.com/Hardware/willy/willy_1.html">here</a&gt;
    is a link to possibly the first P4 benchmarks.
    Now compare those to the new ADM's.
    Intel will once again OWN ADM's ass!
    Who said RAMBUS was crap??? /me eats humble pie
    Roll on 200MHz DDR SDRAM!! smile.gif

err only the memory bandwidth benchmarks are worth talking about because for once with a wider data bus rambus is getting the bandwidth it needs to really pull ahead.
    clock for clock everyone is saying that the willamette will be hard pushed to beat the coppermine at fpu benchmarks, whereas minute core changes give intel another integer boost

just came across this on the intel developer site:

"The quickest and easiest method for developing RIMM Modules is by using the RIMM Module Designs. These design packages include downloadable files that contain all the engineering data to start RIMM production. "

excellent.. now you too can make your own ..
    just make sure to get help frmo your parents with the scissors and sticky tape.

Advertisement