Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ide orders.. boot problems

• 31-08-2000 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

having a few problems booting with a machine here in work..
    three ide devices.. two hard drives and a cd drive, the two HD's have no jumpers at all for me to select master/slave, and both are connected to the primary ide connector.
    the cd is currently set to cable select on its own on the secondary ide cable.

machine boots.. hard drives whirr.. and then nothing.. no bios screen.. nothing, with the monitor still blinking away on standby (annoying *******s)

anyone any ideas?

ive tried removing all cards and all cables (ide and power) bar the drive thats suppose to boot.. still nothing.

cheers,
    Ken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Faulty mobo or psu methinks.

And what kind of hd's dont have jumpers on them? smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

you could try (its a long shot) swapping which of the hd's is on which of the connects on the ribbon cable. If they're on cs (and with no jumpers maybe they are, who knows) then where they are on the ribbon cable determines which is master/slave. And which is attempted to boot from. Maybe you'll get lucky with the other hd.
    Otherwise, just give me the hd's. ANd I'll give you a crisp new tenner. smile.gif
    quozl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

turns out the matrox g200 was faulty on the mobo.. god knows how it died .. considering all i did was change a few ide cables around.
    anyway its fixed now ..

Advertisement