Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jail or Holiday

Options
  • 08-01-2002 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Should someone who has just been sentenced to a jail term be allowed to go on holiday first and serve on his return. I think not!!! One law for us and all that! (NOTICE: I took the name of my favourite person, YEAHHH)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Not only that, but on flying back into Ireland from spending Chrimbo in the US, he was bypassed through customs and effectively smuggled out to go home for New Years prior to serving his term.

Now, while I recognise that prisons grant a number of prisoners leave to go home at Christmas, Lawlor was allowed to leave the country, and given effectively celebrity treatment on his return, prior to serving his imposed sentence.

Only in Bertie-Land (as my dad put it).

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The way he got preferential threatment was a disgrace. If Joe Q. Scumbag was convicted even for a crime as small as shoplifting he would be fired in prison straight away, Liam Lawlor should have imprisoned immediately after sentencing.

Just for your interest LL here is a previous thread about your more famous namesake http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37665

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by gandalf
    If Joe Q. Scumbag was convicted even for a crime as small as shoplifting he would be fired in prison straight away

Ah but in fairness now, Joe Q. Scumbag has the odds stacked against him, being born with a name like that. :D

heh...

As for Liam Lawlor, - he's an arse who has used and abused the system to unbelievable proportions.

The next thing that should rightfully happen to him would be for him to have the letters "T.D." removed from after his name (i.e.: he should be kicked out of the Dail.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I don't think Liam Lawlor should have been sent to prison at all, I think he should have been given a massive fine instead. Rather than wasting taxpayer's money on his upkeep in jail, why not make a bit of money out of him? Prison should only be for violent criminals in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was some absolute tosser on Adrian Kennedy there the other week, saying how Liam should not have been jailed like 'a common thug' as he put it. He said blank out, that he believes in the class system, and higher class ppl should not be jailed. I would have beat the ****e out of him if I had been talking to him face-to-face. He said that if Liam did go to jail, he should have had his own cell, complete w/ensuite luxury bathroom, Internet access, Mobile Phone, and cable TV. FFS, there are hundreds of thousands of Irish ppl who don't have half of those. :mad:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seamus
    There was some absolute tosser on Adrian Kennedy there the other week...

They're called "ACTORS", seamus...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't think Liam Lawlor should have been sent to prison at all, I think he should have been given a massive fine instead.

Why not just smack him on the handy and call him a bad boy?

Make him stand in the corner with a Dunce hat?

Send him to be without any supper?

Tell his mommy?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Bard
    they're called ACTORS

Gah, I know, but It wouldn't surprise if there was some people out there who thought like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There's bound to be a tiny minority of people out there who won't hear a bad word against him because theire granddad got a favour off some FF councillor in 1946 or so, and since then they've been an 'FF Family'. People in Ireland seem to take on their parent's voting habits, at least until recently, now it seems people are able to exercise a bit more freedom of choice, hooray for the Information Age and all that.

I would prefer Lawlor pay a large fine, always assuming he would in fact pay it and not just dodge it somehow - it's far better than taxpayers having to put the likes of him up in jail or indeed on a flippin' holiday to New York which I somehow doubt came out of his own pocket.

The acid test will be the next election, he obviously has the brass neck to stand again, so hopefully the people of Dublin SW will chuck him out on his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well the act that deals with the Tribunals only allow the following penalties for failing to cooperate.

1. Fine: £10,000
    2. Imprisonment: 2 years
    3. Costs: pro-rata the Tribunals costs

Whos cares about a £10,000 fine, just use points 2 & 3, could runs to a few million quid.
    TRIBUNALS OF INQUIRY (EVIDENCE) (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1979 SECTION 3

(2A) ( a ) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be
    liable on conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding £10,000
    or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not 
    exceeding 2 years or to both such fine and such imprisonment.

[url]http://193.120.124.98/ZZA3Y1979S3.html[/url]

TRIBUNALS OF INQUIRY (EVIDENCE) (AMENDMENT) ACT, 1979 SECTION 6

6.—(1) Where a tribunal, or, if the tribunal consists of more than
    one member, the chairman of the tribunal, is of opinion that,
    having regard to the findings of the tribunal and all other relevant
    matters, there are sufficient reasons rendering it equitable to do
    so, the tribunal or the chairman, as the case may be, may by
    order direct that the whole or part of the costs of any person
    appearing before the tribunal by counsel or solicitor, as taxed by
    a Taxing Master of the High Court, shall be paid to the person by
    any other person named in the order.

(2) Any sum payable pursuant to an order under this section 
    shall be recoverable as a simple contract debt in any court of 
    competent jurisdiction.

(3) Any sum payable by the Minister for Finance pursuant to 
    an order under this section shall be paid out of moneys provided
    by the Oireachtas.

[url]http://193.120.124.98/ZZA3Y1979S6.html[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Is there not something in our legislation that prevents a convicted criminal from being a TD? Kind of ironic that the government is being kept in place because of his (and other independents' support)

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Castor Troy
    The acid test will be the next election, he obviously has the brass neck to stand again, so hopefully the people of Dublin SW will chuck him out on his ear.
    I seen a report in the sunday Independant saying that he isn't going to stand at the next election.

Originally posted by Draco
    I seen a report in the sunday Independant saying that he isn't going to stand at the next election.

Well he would certainly be an IDIOT to stand... or more so, the people would be idiots to re-elect him.

Originally posted by amp
    Is there not something in our legislation that prevents a convicted criminal from being a TD? Kind of ironic that the government is being kept in place because of his (and other independents' support)
    ELECTORAL ACT, 1923 SECTION 51 Section 2
    Disqualification for membership of the Dáil.
    (2) Each of the following persons shall be disqualified from being elected or sitting as a member of the Dáil, that is to say
    ( a ) a person who is undergoing a sentence of imprisonment with hard labour for any period exceeding six months or of penal servitude for any term imposed by a court of competent jurisdiction in Saorstát Eireann;
    ( b ) an imbecile and any person of unsound mind;
    ( c ) an undischarged bankrupt under an adjudication by a court of competent jurisdiction in Saorstát Eireann;
    ( d ) a person who is by the law for the time being in force in Saorstát Eireann in relation to corrupt practices and other offences at elections incapacitated from being a member of the Dáil by reason of his having been found guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction in Saorstát Eireann of some such practice or offence:

maybe we could get him under sub-section (b)? :)
    Well he would certainly be an IDIOT to stand... or more so, the people would be idiots to re-elect him.

As I said, sub-section (b)? :)

sub-section D surely!

sub-section D surely!

Careful reading means this only applies to corruption (or otherwise) of the electoral process. And unfortunately he has only been convicted of obstruction the Tribunal (unless he has some skeletons in the cupboard).

Advertisement