Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show Desktop Icon in '98

• 08-01-2002 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question that i figured one of you fine people might be able to help me with :)

My girlfirend's Pc is running Win/98 (second edition) and she has no 'show desktop' icon on the quick launch bar. I was running the same O/S myself, with the same version of IE on the same make of PC (Dell dimension) and i had the icon. It's a bit of a nuisance, as every time you need to go back to the desktop you have to minimize all windows first.

It's nothing major, just something that's been bugging me for a while.:confused:

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah that was bugging me for a while too. If you go into your own machine and right click on the icon, and look at its properties, it's called a 'Windows Explorer Command'. If you look at the file in notepad, it should say:
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

Now I know that to make a DOS command file like this, you would put a .bat extension on it, but I don't know about a Windows command. Unless someone else tells you how to make a windoze command file, copy the shortcut to a floppy and transfer it over. Simple :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Use your keyboard!

Windows Key and D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Pld SuperShortcutLuc! never knew that one :)

OK Lads, heres one that im not even sure exists. When i used a mac (dont slag, twas great) I could close every open window by alt clicking the close box on one of them. Any way to do this in windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

That's great Seamus and Lucutus,

Thanks for your help!

ps: It's still odd that one system doesn't have the icon, even though they're both basically identical :confused:

Thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

As far as I remember, it should be included in a default install of 98SE, so it was probably deleted. Just create a file as per Seamus' instructions, name it "Show Desktop.scf" and dump it into your Quick Launch folder. That should do it. If it doesn't, you've got a manky old copy of Explorer. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I generally use:

Windows Button + M

This minimises all windows.

Windows Button + Shift + M

This reopens previously unminimised windows.

Advertisement