Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT profile question

• 01-09-2000 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quickie:

I want to set up a general access account on the NT machines in hte office (with restricted rights etc. so the admin account won't work). It's for use when someone is absent and a file or app. on their machine is needed (or email access is needed).

Is there a way of having a general password on the machine that will use the same profile as the original user? ie: be completely up to date and be exactly as if the real user was there, just that the server log would know the difference.

- we recently had a little bit of trouble with someone downloading ...unusual.. stuff under someone else's account. The server log shows the original user (and they got a warning from head office) but I know that the user was not in the office that day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

afaik you would have to log in using the person who would sit there username and profile. or create a generic account (dangerous) that gives full control.
    otherwise, you could share out certain folders to everyone with read only access so that if the work station is at the login screen, you can take stuff of the shared folders without anyone having to login.

oh, and i dont think you can disable or lock the admin account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You can shut down the admin account from being used remotely. That's about it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I would be more inclined to change everyones password and then tell everyone to change it and explain how to lock the machine and also that they will be held accountable for anyone using thier login (to stop them sharing passwords).

Advertisement