Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How deep is deep ?

Options
  • 08-01-2002 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I know, I know - this is probably a stoopid question, but I've just bought a second hand multiplier (which I'm delighted with) with a view to doing some boat fishing - mainly mackerel not far off the coast of Kinsale.

The reel came with 50metres of Dacron on it - which I've been advised to keep - if I need to extend this, how do I do it - can you join Dacron successfully ? seems a bit like string :))

Apologies for the base level of this, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by psychotic mouse
    I know, I know - this is probably a stoopid question, but I've just bought a second hand multiplier (which I'm delighted with) with a view to doing some boat fishing - mainly mackerel not far off the coast of Kinsale.

The reel came with 50metres of Dacron on it - which I've been advised to keep - if I need to extend this, how do I do it - can you join Dacron successfully ? seems a bit like string :))

Apologies for the base level of this, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere

If I remeber correctly dacron line is braided, which means it doesn't stretch as much as nylon-so you feel more directly connected to your terminal gear, if you know what I mean.
    What breaking strain is the line? How often was the line used.
    I think dacron can weaken quickly over rough ground as it picks up nicks on the line.
    as for knots-not sure try googleto have a search but the albright may be the job
    http://www.marinews.com/fishing/Knots%20&%20Rigging/fk_albright.htm
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 psychotic mouse

Thanks- it's pretty hefty stuff - 50lb + breaking strain. You're right in that its braided - I'm hoping I can just use a double blood knot or the likes.

It's only been used twice & I've checked (all 50 metres !!) & seems in perfect condition.

I'll check out the link - cheers

Advertisement