Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Numbers

Options
  • 08-01-2002 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

This is just a thought and probobly a little of topic and isn't needed now, but i feel needs attention before or if NTL or any other organisation dicides to introduce there own network of phone lines there needs to be an option to transfer your phone number to the new line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

of cours you will have to change number, if the network is large. if its tiny ie chorus, they will just buy the numbers off eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it would be difficult to buy individual numbers, but blocks maybe. I presume there is about 600,000 lines in Dublin and 8,000,000 or so valid numbers (excluding 1xx xxxx, used by the companies themselves and 0xx xxxx - not valid). I think you can pick and choose what new number you want and therefore make it a 'nice' number.

However, if you are buying a DSL service that uses the Eircom local loop, you could probably keep your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    of cours you will have to change number, if the network is large. if its tiny ie chorus, they will just buy the numbers off eircom.

Total rubbish. There has been full number portability in Ireland since 2000 - all operators with number ranges are required to ensure that they can be moved to and from other operators. And all operators are required to get their number ranges from Eircom.

http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtr9951.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 murcielago

EU COM(2000)392 proposed directive
    (28) Number portability is a key facilitator of consumer choice and effective competition in
    a competitive telecommunications environment such that end users who so request
    should be able to retain their number(s) on the public telephone network independently
    of the organisation providing service. The provision of this facility between
    connections to the public telephone network at fixed and non-fixed locations is not
    appropriate at present, in particular due to the loss of tariff information to the
    consumer that would result. This provision could be subject to review.

See odtr for current situation in Ireland. Meanwhile I have had no problem in retaining number when changing supplier

Advertisement