Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dodgy goings on with the adsl trial?

Options
  • 08-01-2002 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Called up eircom this afternoon (the adsl sales line) just to confirm that an engineer will be putting me on the trial on Jan 10th (I rang em near the start of December and was given this date). He took my details, ad the informed me that, yep, everything is fine, an engineer will be calling on Thursday afternoon. Just as the conversation finished (me smiling ear to ear), he suddenly realised that I was not on eircom (on another pre-select carrier). He said somethig like "you must be on eircom to get on the trial".

He was supposed to ring me back (obviously I got a tad excited on the phone and asked him to double check that)...didn't call me back yet.

I just want to ask, is there any technical reason why it won't work, or is this some kind of very dodgy sounding way to get customers? He was begging me to take a form to join back up with eircom.

Prompt reply would be appreciated, so I can ring back armed with more knowledge.

Cheers,
    lamps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

hes right its true, shame you didnt post here sooner, i persume your with esat or ntl. it will take about 1-2 hours to change a cps line back to eircom.you just ring eircom adsl department again now, you say listen im with such and such, it wont take me five minute to change my line, if i do will i still ahve a place. you dont want them to drop your 10th january date.

I had to do the same thing, its standard that you would have to have a line with eircom, even if you get adsl off esat, afaik you will still need an eircom line. i base this on england btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Make sure you check your contract with whoever you're currently with first. I'm not sure whether this has been built into any preselect contracts, but if it specifies a minimum period, you may find yourself having to pay off the remaining term. Also, you'll probably need to sign a contract to get back on Eircom, so make sure you can get on the trial first, otherwise you'll have to do it all over again.

Just cover your ass.

adam

Nope none of that, no contract no nothing, its all done the cps end, ie ntl. within 1-2 hours as i said. they will get back to you.
    as eircom own the line its no problem, beside, i asked for one of those forms to get back with eircom. (for some reason the guy though my phone line was owned by someone else. ie not cps) and he arranged the contract to come out. this was about 7 weeks ago, it arrived today

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm getting on the trial too... just had my PSTN line installed (we only had ISDN in the flat before and that cant be upgraded apparently!)

So far so good, now I have to get the line tested and see if I can get it installed. Once I do you'll never see me on this forum again... SO LONG SUCKERS!! MUHAHAH *cough* hahah...

DeV.

get a router dev, you wont look back, its makes thsi second rate adsl service allmost as good as the states.

it really feels like broadband, because its allways up, not need to dial. no need for anything.

ive been up and running on the net for 6 days straight since i got it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Cheers for the heads up lads.

Rang em back, and essentially I gotta wait for the cps form to change back to Eircom, fax it in, and they'll let me back on the trial...not a chance of getting it installed on the original date, but at least I'll get back on it reasonably quickly (the guy I spoke to was pretty sound about it).

Anyways, bitterly disappointed, but I can wait another few (hopefully) days :)

Regards,
    lampsie.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thanks Boston, theres three of us here in the flat and we have a server going so I dont think we have any choice in the matter!

Any tips on a good one?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by DeVore
    So far so good, now I have to get the line tested and see if I can get it installed.

I'm in the exact same situation as you dev. i've got the line installed, and am getting it tested as soon as it goes onto the eircom system, but I was told on monday that eircom have reached their residential limit for the adsl trials and I cannot get onto the trial, even if the line passes.

and they tell me this just after getting the line installed :( fecking idiots

If Eircom actually said "you must be on eircom to get on the trial", and they were referring to CPS, where the user is still paying Eircom rental on the line, they would appear to be in breach of their trial agreement. We're currently looking into the viability of making a complaint on behalf of our members on this issue. I'll advise further when I have more information.

adam

Originally posted by lampsie
    Cheers for the heads up lads.

Rang em back, and essentially I gotta wait for the cps form to change back to Eircom, fax it in, and they'll let me back on the trial...not a chance of getting it installed on the original date, but at least I'll get back on it reasonably quickly (the guy I spoke to was pretty sound about it).

Anyways, bitterly disappointed, but I can wait another few (hopefully) days :)

Regards,
    lampsie.

im sorry to hear that, looks like eircom messed you about, two ways to do it, every time i rang eircom they wanted me to post this form or fax that form, either way it will be weeks getting through, by which times trials may be over.
    i was going to do the same as you untill i rang ntl and they fixed it all up, at which point i rang eircom ,said the phoneline is back, they said fine, and away i went

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore
    Thanks Boston, theres three of us here in the flat and we have a server going so I dont think we have any choice in the matter!

Any tips on a good one?

DeV.

well i picked up a linksys 8 port cable/adsl router. set me back about $200 another 30 irish for the cables.

id imagine that a four port one will suit your needs. its all programed through the browser. simple as hell to set up.
    if you running the server on it, as i am, you asign a static internal ip to the server then get something like dns2go.com, you will never experience down time, quiet handy. Also the security features are quiet handy. the speed at which that share the info is quiet impressive, and beats the nics way hands down.

one thing, do you trust the people you live with, because the router can (if you wish) record every site visited on the net, it also records every atempt to access you pc.

SO you have 2 choise linksys or netgear, both equally good. you have to tell me exactly what you want from it before id be able to suggest a model.

Originally posted by ando

I'm in the exact same situation as you dev. i've got the line installed, and am getting it tested as soon as it goes onto the eircom system, but I was told on monday that eircom have reached their residential limit for the adsl trials and I cannot get onto the trial, even if the line passes.

and they tell me this just after getting the line installed :( fecking idiots

They have tried to tell me this too... I went through them for a shortcut as I was in a bad mood anyway.

We have a corporate account manager here who I have contacted and told her that they can sing for the leased line contracts and any hosting we might throw their way if I dont get this. "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!"

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I just want to ask, is there any technical reason why it won't work, or is this some kind of very dodgy sounding way to get customers? He was begging me to take a form to join back up with eircom.
    Can anyone think of a technical reason for this? AFAIK, ADSL runs over the local loop, ie the physical copper line between you and the exchange and so should not be affected by whatever CPS deal you have with another company.

Just to get this clear: are they saying that they can't put you on the trial because it is technically impossible due to the CPS deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Ye's will love what happened to me. Due to be connected last Monday and having already recieved the contract, they phoned me last week to say there was a problem with the Beggar's Bush exchange and they would be in contact when it was fixed about a new installation date. Not entirely trusting them to get back in touch with me, I phoned them back up yesterday to hear that I was no longer flagged for the trial. Not being very happy (to say the least) about this outcome, I got told the bloke (Liam) that this wasn't a very nice situation as I had been instructed by Rosemary (after she'd had a word with her manager) that I wouldn't be allowed on the trial unless I came off NTL (the nice people that were giving me unmetered internet access at the weekend) which, gasping to get ADSL, I did and now, here I am stuck back in the Eircom wasteland with no unmetered access again and apparently no ADSL in sight either. Liam said he'd phone back today when he'd looked into the matter - he didn't. I will however be contacting him tomorrow to find out why - I'll let you know the outcome.

Hey folks, and thanks,

Just as a quick update (sorry to those who asked me stuff back up a bit, been busy as hell)...

Got a call on Thursday to say that I should'nt have been told that I could'nt be on the trial (words _something_ to the effect of 'its a free and open trial'), and that an engineer would be around later that day to install (actually didn't get it installed till today, but thats another story). Wonder if anyone in Eircom I-Stream reads these boards? ;)

Bit OT, but the blokey came today around 1pm to install the stuff (very nice chap he was too)...Was out the door before 2pm, but I had to wait until 5pm to get my username/pass (long story). Nothing worse than having all that lovely gear sitting there doing nothing for a couple of hours while waiting for the evening shift staff in I-Stream Sales! (argh).

ADSL is God :)

lampsie.

Got a call on Thursday to say that I should'nt have been told that I could'nt be on the trial (words _something_ to the effect of 'its a free and open trial'), and that an engineer would be around later that day to install (actually didn't get it installed till today, but thats another story). Wonder if anyone in Eircom I-Stream reads these boards?

Yes, they do. This should happen for everyone who was in the same situation. If it doesn't, please let us know and we'll try and clear it up for you.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Just wondering if Tom's (deVore) got sorted too?

Hey folks, and thanks,

Just as a quick update (sorry to those who asked me stuff back up a bit, been busy as hell)...

Got a call on Thursday to say that I should'nt have been told that I could'nt be on the trial (words _something_ to the effect of 'its a free and open trial'), and that an engineer would be around later that day to install (actually didn't get it installed till today, but thats another story). Wonder if anyone in Eircom I-Stream reads these boards? ;)

Bit OT, but the blokey came today around 1pm to install the stuff (very nice chap he was too)...Was out the door before 2pm, but I had to wait until 5pm to get my username/pass (long story). Nothing worse than having all that lovely gear sitting there doing nothing for a couple of hours while waiting for the evening shift staff in I-Stream Sales! (argh).

ADSL is God :)

lampsie.

so, you have it now then?

Boston, yup, its purring along like a kitten :)

It is the USB version tho (no NIC's here), and there is quite a widely documented problem with the Alcatel Speedtouch modem Eircom supply, and VIA motherboards (which I have), so the modem kept losing power, forcing a reboot.

More or less have it working nicely now, had to throttle back the speed a little and grab a few USB fixer 'uppers from the Microsoft and Via websites. Will start the tweaking process later.

OT, its one freaky lookin' modem, just waiting for the thing to lurch off the desk and attach itself to my face...

Regards,
    lampsie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by dahamsta
    [B
    Yes, they do. This should happen for everyone who was in the same situation. If it doesn't, please let us know and we'll try and clear it up for you.

adam [/B]

Pld adam, gj :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daithi54

I can say with absolute certainty you do NOT need to CPS back to eircom to go on the trial. Even if the sales folk say so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It's typical of eircom though isn't it? I'm sick of this attitude that dublin is the only place that matters in Ireland. Fair enough it's a major city but there are other major cities too. To go off topic for just a second take a look at the guinness adverts on tv, they are all dublin based. Eircom need to let the trail be run in other cities as well. This is just mo, if i seem biast (can't spell) then i'm sorry. Ideas? comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

It's typical of eircom though isn't it? I'm sick of this attitude that dublin is the only place that matters in Ireland. Fair enough it's a major city but there are other major cities too.

Dublin is the biggest city in Ireland, more people here need broadband. (no offence whatsoever, I know there are people all over that want net access...and that's what this is about isn't it? Getting FRIACO and broadband for every area of this country :) )

Next biggest city would be Belfast, they already have broadband in the form of BT...next would be Cork...

Cork...have Chorus (right?) and Esat broadband in April (I think :P).

Those are the three major cities in Ireland...and from what I can see...the biggest one is last :-\.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by NoelRock

Cork...have Chorus (right?) and Esat broadband in April (I think :P).

...erm no.

We're all stuck on dialup down here. Powernet has not been released here. (Every 3 months, they tell me it will be out in 3 months)

No telco, (Eircom or Esat) has publicly announced any plans for putting DSLAMS into Cork exchanges, not to mind a trial.

So, Cork is as bad as Leitrim at the moment. (but I guess with slightly better prospects...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Limerick has Chorus Powernet (now only for businesses) and ESAT are doing something with DSL in one of the exchanges. That might be what Noel is thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

That must be what I'm thinking of...

Good thing I questioned myself in brackets...otherwise I would've looked like a complete idiot...

Whatcha mean I still do? Gaaaaah.

On a more serious note...Dublin have little or rather, nothing, right now...so how can you say Dublin get "everything"?

A trial? Whoop-dee-do...how many people out of 1 million+ in Dublin do you honestly think got on that? The rates of rejections far outweighted the number of acceptions in the trials...so when/if eircom launch I-stream, it looks like it'll be yet another case of the lucky few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Dublin is the biggest city in Ireland,

So ? No offence ment but size means nothing nowdays. Ennis for some reason or other seemed to win on this one ? But i will let that one go. Its time people stopped looking at the big number and started looking at the actuall people that made up the big number in the first place. Its nice to be King of the Hill but its really important to remember how you got there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

A trial? Whoop-dee-do...how many people out of 1 million+ in Dublin do you honestly think got on that?

A 100% more then the people OUTSIDE of Dublin got it. Your point is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Oh yeah, one thing i noticed on friday. When i was walking down the street in tralee(where i attend college), i saw lots of Esat broadband signs up. They went something like "We are sorry for any inconveiniance caused during the implementation of broadband internet for the homes and businesses of tralee" They had a big Esat logo on them too. I saw the workers putting down huge wiring in the roads and under the pathways. I didn't think this was going to happen until April of this year... It's no good to me in tralee though, the college has an atm connection :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by sjones
    <SNIP>It's no good to me in tralee though, the college has an atm connection :)

Forgive my blissful ignorance, but what is an ATM connection??

Advertisement