Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dodgy goings on with the adsl trial?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Manic

A 100% more then the people OUTSIDE of Dublin got it. Your point is ?

The point of my original post overall was that there will always be more of a market in a city with 1 million+ people than there will be in a town with say 50,000 people. See what I mean? What I'm trying to say is, we should all have the right to adsl, but there's no point in getting hot and bothered just because dublin got it first, there will be more of a market there, and more people to test it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

An atm connection is a 2MB connection to the internet. to quote from http://www.ittralee.ie
    "ITT is connected to ITnet - the network of the Institutes of Technology, via a 2 + 2MB ATM connection. This is the first broadband research and development network of its kind in the country. All students in ITT have access to the Internet to aid their studies."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by sjones
    An atm connection is a 2MB connection to the internet. to quote from http://www.ittralee.ie
    "ITT is connected to ITnet - the network of the Institutes of Technology, via a 2 + 2MB ATM connection.
    It is not necessarily a 2meg connection to the internet-take a look at an engineering resource here for more info
    jd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

I really mean no offence here and dont want to become or sound like a troll but:
    The point of my original post overall was that there will always be more of a market in a city with 1 million+
    I understand that but forgive me. How many people are in Galway, Limerick, Cork , ETC. How many people from outside Dublin make up the population of Dublin ? I really mean no offence to anyone but its time that everyone understood that people do exist outside of Dublin and we all have the same needs and wants. Let me put it this way. If everyone outside of Dublin got trials, ADSL, etc. etc. etc. How would the people of Dublin feel ? I have nothing against the people of Dublin or Dublin its self. But i really feel its time that people understood that there are people alive and in the same boat as the people in Dublin. Ok we might be hanging on to the outside of the boat but we are still here. I am not hot and bothered about this but i do find it annoying. It would be really nice if someone some day actually reached out from inside the boat and took us onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Manic, your talking like ADSL will never be released outside Dublin (assuming its released at all).
    Eircom said at the start of the last trial that they would upgrade more exchanges in the following 6 months. In fairness to the shower, they actually came through on that one - The current trials are those exchanges. They also said that exchanges outside Dublin would be upgraded after launch, I assume if they launch the product, they will at least try to get some sort of return for thier money and keep to that.
    Remember that at the start of the last trial there were people posting here saying that DSL would only be released to South Dublin to compete with NTL. That was patent overreaction, and to be honest, I think your overreacting a little here too.
    Be patient, Whenever they get round to launching the product, they will more than likely release at least some details of when people outside the capital can expect to pay an arm and a leg for the service.

All this is assuming of course you dont live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, in which case your DSL will not reach to you, and your better getting satellite :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just FYI, to the best of my knowledge, Eircom have to inform the ODTR three months before the rollout of DSL service in new areas, and they haven't done so as yet. Again, this is to the best of my knowledge.

This is not to say that Eircom are not contemplating rolling out services outside the capital - I have information that they will - but I don't think they will even begin to contemplate it again until bitstream pricing is settled. And they don't appear to be in any particular rush to do so.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

Thanks Dustaz.. but i honestly didnt mean it that way. You skipped my point though about people outside of Dublin. We are all here for 1 reason. Our goals are the same no mater where we live. :p I just wanted people to know they were not alone in their fight. And I think that no individual City or town or place should be chosen. It only caouses a divide between everyone here. We need everyone from the foundation up.

Advertisement