Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elementary my dear Watson....

• 30-08-2000 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

K, I bought a new internal PCI modem and ripped it out of the box, bunged it in then put in the CD and tried to install the drivers. No luck. Tried reading the manual, it said exactly the same thing.

Basically it's not being detected. I'm not sure if it's plug-n-play but every sort of search I could find didn't detect it. Anybody know a different way of testing for it? I'm pretty sure it's physically installed properly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You might want to check the device manager for something like unknown devices or other devices. If you see anything like PCI Communications Device double click on it and click the driver tab and click update driver. I seen this problem a lot and its normally the case that the device got installed as an unknown device and you need to upgrade the driver from there.
    Hope this helps.

Jimmy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Try reboot a few times, when I got my CD-rw windows didnt pick up untill I rebooted around 4-5 times. I know Bill gates PPPPFFFFFFFFFFF

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

PCI modem you say?
    Dare I ask if this is a ... *cough*winmodem?*cough*

[+_+] <--- omg!! it's a lego man!!!™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'd say sickboys answer is right. Might be easier to just remove that pci comms device and let it be autodeteced at boot. Whichever.
    quozl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

check your bios setup to see if plug and play is enabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

make sure the card is in the slot right(thats what gets me frown.gif )

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    PCI modem you say?
    Dare I ask if this is a ... *cough*winmodem?*cough*

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, **** NO!!!!! It's replacing a winmodem smile.gif

still not being detected tho - there is an unknown device but that's always been there. It's still showing a microsoft mouse too but that was binned ages ago

me stuck with ISA winmodem frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

you sure , most pci modems are winmodems frown.gif , I mind I bought a pci modem thinking it was hardware one but actually was a winmodem so I took it back to the shop and got me a external modem and haven't looked back , I find I get lower pings and more stable connections
    /me pats himself on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeh trust no one.
    I bit the bullit a few months ago, got myself a funky external modem.
    Oooh those lights lovingly twinkling at me as I download yet more mutilated donkey pr0n smile.gif

If the modem is too hard to install then it's probably not worth installing... take it back and get yourself a nice external jobbie.

([+_+]) <--- omg!! it's a lego man with big ears!!!™

Isnt the general thing that ISA devices are hardware..... And PCI are winmodem ****é??

Any way Another thing you could do is ****er the jumpers on the modem around. read the manual to get the settings, and if you say it came in a box with no manual or drivers, send it back.... No branded piece of crap.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Teeheehee... my internal ISA modem didn't come in a box - just an antistatic bag with a card containing the jumper settings and a floppy disk with some drivers. Its served me well over the last 2 years - I get decent pings to the IGN TFC servers (Around 160 ms). Does the job well biggrin.gif

I don't know who manufactured it - its some no brand job using a generic rockwell 56k chipset. Finding a flash bios upgrade to bring it from K56Flex to V.90 was a nightmare, but those days are behind me smile.gif

- Munch
    - Sh33r l33tn35$, i tell you
    - Fortress.ie

HE HE, your current modem was made by PC Pro. Same as Mine, there l33t, havent had any problems. Good 140-150 ping to IGN smile.gif

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I yoinked it out to see if there was any jumpers on it to fiddle around with but there wasn't so I bunged it back in. Then 3 re-boots (not at the same time) later up comes the message "PCI communications device detected : Install YES/NO"

Where the hell was that 3 days ago! Or the first boot after I re-installed it for that matter.

Anyways - my connection speed has jumped from 33,6 to a whoping 46,6 so I'm well pleased biggrin.gif

Advertisement