Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus telling the ODTR lies

Options
  • 09-01-2002 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from my recent complaint against the cable company Chorus who refuse to allow me to get powernet installed because my landlord has an account at this address I have received a mail from the ODTR saying that:

Chorus have told the ODTR that they are only offering powernet to commercial customers and not residential customers

I know this to be a lie. I would be interested to know how many residential customers have powernet at this time and how long you have it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by fcddunne
    Chorus have told the ODTR that they are only offering powernet to commercial customers and not residential customers

They didn't happen to qualify that statement with an "at this time" or a "currently", did they? Might be slipping off the hook, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Original Message
    To: franciscdunne@eircom.net
    Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 12:44 PM
    Subject: Chorus erecting obstacles for potential Powernet users

Dear Mr Dunne,

I refer to your email of 28 November 2001 regarding the cable operator Chorus.

Susan Curtin in Chorus has informed me that at present they are offering this service to their commercial customers only. She informed that she will write to you confirming this.

Best Regards,

Paul Brennan

ODTR - The Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation Phone no: 01 8049749 Fax no: 01 8049680

Email: broadcast@odtr.ie

"The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful."

I know this to be crap because I was actually trying out the brother-in-law's powernet while I was talking to Chorus on the phone and several hours before I sent my initial complaint to the ODTR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Ah but while your brother in law got his residential Powernet some time ago, the email says "at present ... commercial customers only", which i would read as meaning "we used to sell to residential customers, but not any more, so leave us alone".

What they were doing when they sold your brother in law powernet, and what they might do at some undetermined point in the future (say if someone else applies next week) is another matter altogether....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Yeah,basically Chorus have axed their Residential Powernet & are now going down the Business route only......

In short (can u get any shorter? :)) - Chorus are PANTS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

In short (can u get any shorter? :)) - Chorus are PANTS!

Tell us something new. :)

adam
    (Who's looking very carefully at Sky at the moment.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rardagh

Francis,

As it relates to the Powernet service, Chorus are bound by their FWPMA (Wireless Local Loop) licence as opposed to their broadcast license.

http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtr9928.doc

Under clause 28.1 of Chorus's license, as in the FWPMA template above, they have the following obligation:

The Licensee shall provide the FWPMA Services in accordance with the Second Schedule, on a non-discriminatory basis to all persons requesting services.

It is my belief that the Director, Etain Doyle, has a duty to enforce Chorus' obligation to provide Powernet (and Eircom to provide WLL) to *ANY* user, within the service areas and at the price stipulated in their FWPMA license.

You should have directly addressed your question to the director herself, the head of licensing, or the head of radio rather than the broadcast section of the ODTR.

I would suggest that the committee, (or perhaps IrishWAN??), approach the ODTR to find out what obligations Chorus have under their FWPMA license, and I believe that a *VERY* interesting result would become apparent.

It may even be interesting to ask the ODTR if they have colluded with Chorus, Eircom and Esat in a written agreement to prevent the full FWPMA license obligations becomming public knowledge and to prevent further competition in the market....

I am only familiar (and ain't a lawyer) with the ODTR's obligations, however if you do not get satisfaction from the director, your only option would be seek a judicial review of any ODTR decision not to enforce Chorus's license, (An expensive and horrible task) or to drum up some public support to examine Chorus's failure to deliver on it's promises.

And they have promised,, they have also promised the government to link Dublin to Cork by fiber, and have received money to do it from the Dept. of Public Enterprise - but has a spade been turned?? They have received money from the Dept. of Public Enterprise to Roll-out PowerNet - but don't want to serve any residential customers??

Is the DPE turning a blind eye to Independent News and Media (who own Chorus) just because their boss owns Eircom as well?? It is striking to note that Independent News and Media may be capable of indirectly holding back the roll out of TWO (Chorus and Eircom) wireless DSL networks as well as eircom wired DSL!!!, stopping the linking of Cork to Dublin (and thereby excluding Cork from Global Crossing) by Fiber, and at the same time they give the ODTR, and the consumers, two fingers by ignoring their license obligations to serve Powernet to residential customers!

Something is rotten...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks for the info rardagh, I'll look into it tomorrow.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Firstly I would like to thank you for the info and you can be sure that yours truly will be calling the ODTR tomorrow

as for why I emailed broadcast@odtr.ie well I emailed everyemail address in the complaints section of the website the broadcast people were the only ones who replied at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

For some reason the ODTR don't seem to bother too much with replying to e-mails. If you want them to do something ring them and then to check on progress, ring them again and again and ag..... .

Advertisement