Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Fret Replacement

Options
  • 09-01-2002 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I'm just after buying an Epiphone Les Paul Classic (The Slash Signature One) from "Walton's" and I have to take it back in a couple of weeks due to a dodgy pick-up switch.

This being quite a serious problem I can get it fixed for free.

But also I noticed the first few frets tend to buz. I've put the bridge up as high as it can go and they still buz. so...

1. Will a fret replacement fix this?
    2. Is this covered on the Garantee?
    3. If not how much will it cost me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

1. that seems a little drastic, there should be an easier solution to this problem...

2. if i was you, i'd either get the guitar replaced, or have the truss rod adjusted. this is a metal rod running through the neck, adjustable by allen-key, it slightly warps/straightens the fretboard depending on how it is adjusted. best left to professionals though, you should probably take it back to Waltons, they'll either sort it or give you a new guitar.

3. i've no idea, but DON'T DO IT! frets should only be replaced if they are years old and worn out. this is a manufacturing defect on your guitar, there's no way the strings should buzz if your bridge is at max height and if the truss rod is properly adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Good call boddah!

The fret buzz coud be due to the action on the geetar being too low, I'd have no hesitation bringing any guitar with that much wrong with it right back to the shop. A problem with a lot of Irish shops (notable exemption, Instrumental on Bachelors walk) is that they don't bother to set up their stock of guitars b4 selling them. A student of mine recently acquired an Epiphone SG from a certain shop and its intonation was way off, its strings were of pre-hellenstic age (ie very old).

You wouldn't buy a new if you had to service it right after buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Why is it when you want to try out a guitar in a shop, and they all have really, really, really light, rusty strings on them and they give you a really thin bendy plectrum to play it on?

If they want you to buy a guitar you'd think they'd want you to get the most out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

Shops generally don't like customers playing their instruments too much. If they do happen to let you try a guitar/bass, expect to be asked whether you require any "help" every few minutes, or if you're finished. Terrible sales tactics really... I wanted to buy a guitar a few months back but the folks in the shop wouldn't let me plug it in and thus lost out on a sure sale.

Any luck with the Les Paul Oeneus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I've sorted the buzzing problem. I put in some lovely .11 Ernie Balls :). Heavy strings seem to do the trick.

And I phoned up Walton's and they said they will fix it.

The Annoying thing is I can't go to Dublin until the 18th so I'll have to wait a while.

It's currently stuck on the rhythm pickup >:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement