Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dust :E

Options
  • 09-01-2002 6:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

The inside of my pc is just covered in dust, i blow most out with dry air in a can but its still damn dusty, any ways of making my case dustless? atm ive no extra fans as its not overclocked yet it still sucks it in. Any ideas?

My pc is a tower and its just to the right of my feet, its prolly me kicking the dust up :E

(btw i wasn't sure if this was to be on the tech board cause the solution (if there is one) will prolly mean modding the case in some way, if you feel it is a thread for the tech board just move it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

But dust filters on all vents and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

is dust really that bad ?
    i seen some REAL dusty machines in offices n stuff
    i run my pc with the side cover off for a lower temp but i recon it will get dusty fast enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

i run my pc with the side cover off for a lower temp but i recon it will get dusty fast enough

Aye i do that too but only recently, its not bad as such but it looks terrible and its really annoying :)

I suppose ill just move it off the floor maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

have a full tower supermicro 760, it has dust filters on the bottom front of it, and extraction fans up top, and it remains completely dustless inside apart from where the internal fans are (cpu and north bridge)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm not too sure I agree with leaving the case cover off to keep it cool. I reckon it has a negative effect on cooling performance.
    The cover is neccessary to maintain the direction of airflow through the system so it can efficietnly take away the heat.
    Like in a pipe of water, if you only have a trough or half pipe the amount of water pressure you can put through it is reduced drasticlly and water spills everywhere....if ye get my meaning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

err SyxPak im not too sure if i get that ur on about :confused:
    anyway - if i leave the cover ON i t runs to about 55ish under load and with the cover off it drops to 38 under load

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

On some cases btw running the tower with the side off does less for cooling, IE the air is vented in some cases, and when you take the cover off this venting is destroyed, just something to think about.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you have rounded cables and a tidy case with proper fan configs leaving the case cover on is the only thing to do.

People an get quite heated on what exactly comprises the best fan setup. It's a matter of noise tolerence really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Personally I leave the case cover on and every couple of weeks I just get a vac with a brush attachment and hold it up to the fan (with PC off) for a couple of minutes. Gets rid of quite a bit of dust, and the little bit of effort IMO is better than forking out for an uber-dustfrei case. My mate keeps the cover off and last time I saw his comp there were little men building sandcastles in the dust. With enough OC'ing he could probably make glass out of the stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Lads lads lads yee are looking at this the wrong way!!!

My l33t 1800xp, 512mb ddr, dvd writer, 160 gigs of storage with a GF3 and an Audigy is completely dust free

Duwanna know how!!! :D

Clean your rooms u dirty sods :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

tis only too true :D

My case runs hotter with the cover off and at home it stays dust free. I leave the case off in the office for a night of cs and I need to get the hoover out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Whether to leave the case on or off depends on just how you have set up the fans in your system. If you have carefully planned your intake/exhaust system then you need the case on (eg have intake at the bottom of the case, exhaust near the CPU and top).
    But if you rely on one of 2 very direct fans then having the case off can be better.

My old setup was an SK6 and 80mm fan, with 2 intakes at the bottom/middle of the case and an exhaust at the top. Worked best with the case on.
    The latest one is a Zalman, which uses a case mounted overhead fan (ie not connected to the cpu), being quite near the edge of the case this works a hellof a lot better with the case off - due to better airflow, and since its close to the cooler room air and I replaced the 92mm 51cfmn jobby with a 120mm 108cfm it stops it just recycling the warmer air as it is forced back up and around in eddy currents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I would leave the cover off of my pc only I have nightmare scenarios where a fly lands on my mobo and esds it. One of my cats decides to jump into the side of the pc and esds the mobo. Something somehow manages to find it's way into the gaping hole in my pc and esds the mobo. In short I would be afraid of a foreign object coming into contact with the hardware and giving off enough of an electrostatic-discharge to fsck up my mobo. If you are worried about heat in the pc, get another fan or something.

Advertisement