Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Brautigan

Options
  • 09-01-2002 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Brautigan,(new post so as not bore everyone else on the "quiet 2002 for Irish bands" thread.

I don't know you personally but for some reason I am surprised at your apathy here....however its is true what you say, a lot of people will leave bands after the first year because they get seemingly little reward for all their efforts, this is in part because a lot of them do start jobs and get stuck for time etc.

It's because of my working life that I returned to the live music scene after two or three years out ...Being in a band is the ultimate escape from routine because its constantly changing and you're constantly struggling to make the slightest impact..its also great fun when you find the right musicians...!People become despondent because they have the wrong motivations for being in a band, they chase the all illusive deal when they may as well be chasing and F16.

To think you can make money in music in Ireland is a bit of a fantasy for most people and most people are better off not trying for that sole purpose. So many people on this board are obsessed with "the big time" and judge all Irish bands by a ridiculous meter of success in terms of albums sold or number of people at gigs etc...while important in there own right, it is my experience that a lot of, I won't say most, but a lot of indigenous bands and musicians are content to get the Gig in Whelans and play to a couple of hundred people at best...its not to be mistaken for lack of ambition but rather a sincere grounding in reality..and for some people that satisfies them and their willingness to share their music...as the scene exists at the moment its hard to even achieve that for most people...its when this situation gets addressed that you can start talking about the "Industry" which is what a lot of people on this board are really talking about when they say scene.

People on this board will NEVER be satisfied until they make the distinction between the scene and the industry. Take the Frames as an example, great at what they do but people think they have failed cause they never made the big time "what the ****?", so much for music fans eh!??

The Irish music industry does not promote Irish music, you are completely correct in my view Brautigan but people themselves should understand the scene and support it themselves before slating anyone for trying to plug their bands, all be it for a single year or whatever.

The industry and the scene in Ireland couldn't be further apart in my opinion and this why

Industry = West life etc , Sony etc , Distribution deals, Commercial Radio and advertising

Scene = People going to gigs, buying local bands material, discussions on boards like this.

At this point people are going to read this and think "****sake yer man's at it again" and that's fair enough, but truthfully I think that there is a lot to be said about the scene when you become actively involved in it even in a small way...I love meeting bands/musicians and listening to demo's and live performances, some of it may not be of a high quality but so what, its real and its here and most of it is ok. I've learned so much in the last few months meeting people around and really think that it’s so worthwhile being a part of it all.

This all sounds like I'm high or something, but I can assure ya Im not ....Im in my 9 to 5 here and content in the knowledge that I get to escape this Sat at the International.

Well, there's plenty in all that ramble to debate should anyone take offense or disagree with the above, as always I look forward to the criticisms, responses and affirmations.

All the best - Trev

Comments

Advertisement