Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCSI newbie - few questions if ye have the time

• 09-01-2002 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

after a long stint of no net I'm back.
    Got myself a Epson Perfection 1200S SCSI scanner last night for £100 (127euro - getting symbol now) in compustore.
    An Adaptec 2309U or somethingwas supplied. installed well, but for some reason win2k wants to put every card i have on IRQ11, shared, even though IRQ10 is totally free. Any way uinder NT/2k to force h/w resources??

Anywyas to the main point, this card has both internal (50pin I think) and a DB-25 connector on the backplane.
    Can I connect 1 hard drive (ID'd properly and terminated, internal) and an exteranl (no sh1t) scanner with SCSI ID of 2, again terminated???
    The manual isn't clear on this.

Also need to get scsimap.sys for it. for some reaason it's not included in the drivers, though the .inf file lists it. Guess they were expecting win9x/NT or something.
    I'll get back to ye with the exact model number of the Adaptec card.
    Wonder if it's any good......(doubtful)

[EDIT]Its the Adaptec 2903 deffinately.[/EDIT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye you can have an internal scsi hard drive and external scsi device on the same card at the same time. Only thing to watch for, is I'm sure you already know, to make sure the card isn't terminating itself when you put the second device on.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

am....not too sure what you mean by 'make sure card isn't terminating itself'.

Do you mean for the data to pass through the last external device and last internal devices should be the ones terminated?
    As if to say, scanner to left (termin ated) plugged into the card in the middle (not terminated) and the hard drive(terminated) on the right?
    The chain has to be terminated at both ends so, like a 10-Base2 Co-Axial ethernet connection.

only thing is, I've nerr got a donkay's how to 'un-terminate' my card.

I 'think' there's a jumper on it.
    Hmmmmmm.

The adaptec site seems to be it's usual sketcy self when it comes to supporting or even archiving support on slightly older products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i don't think the performance u'd get off the scsi card would warrant the cost of getting a hard drive for it, I somehow doubt that the scanner would be using the fastest scsi standards, meaning a hard drive attached to it would be slower than most IDE's even.

the 50 pin was the wide type wasn't it ?

think it was 68pin for the ultra2wide and beyond, not definite about that tho :)

Advertisement