Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its a mystery

• 09-01-2002 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

A few months ago(Sept.) i was messing around with the back of my PC one day,I would say im fairly well up on it,totally upgraded my pc apart from mobo,then i slapped the case back on and my processor fan came on,main fan came on but pc wouldnt start up,it wasnt the monitor or cables or that.

As the story continues i sent it up to PC World to get it looked at(ya man at IT Direct said he was to busy to have it back soon enough)After not hearing anything from PC World for 4 days i rang them,ya man there had not even looked at it.I was raging because i was dying to play CS,so i got on to the head tech man and he said they cudnt solve the problem,total mystery,when i got the un fixed PC back the docket said it was a faulty or damaged PC.So i sent it back to the place where it was made from and got it back.Ya man there said my GeForce 2MX PCI blew it?? could that happen? why? nothing was overclocked?

If you have read this far ya know wot the prob is,if ya can solve it,wud be great

Odian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

No matter how your pc was damaged, you make the mistake of thinking that stuff only blows up when you overclock it. "HAHAHA I OVERCLOAKE MY COMPUTAR AND IT BLEW UP!!!! HAHAH "

Your post is incoherent, you don't say what you were doing "messing around with the back of your pc" Perhaps you shorted out some component on the graphics card or the motherboard with a screwdriver or static discharge? God only knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

OK, i understand you say you are 'fairly well up on' blah, but-

Your post was a tad on the vague side, so...

When you say you were 'messing around with the back of the pc one day', what exactly were you doing?

You say the problem isn't with the Monitor, what is it displaying, or is it displaying anything?

You're absolutely possitive that all of the ribbon/EIDE cables/power cables are the correct way around?

Did you receive any error messages/beep codes when attempting to start up?

What components did you upgrade?

Did you use a 'wrist grounding strap' or maintain physical contact with the system unit chasis while upgrading components?

Did you contact your PC manufacturer,or check their website in case it's a known problem?

Basically, just give some more information. I'm not saying I or anyone here could solve the problem, but the more info you give the better/easier it would be to make a diagnosis.

I know you may have went through all of this with Pc World, but I don't have a lot of faith in them to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, if nothing else you have learned not to go back to PC World again. Perhaps they can diagnose most simple problems with pc's they sell since they have all the manuals in front of them, to trust them with anything more complicated else is lunacy I'm afraid.

Tell us what exactly you were doing to the pc when it stopped working?

Shred, manufacturers don't normally want you poking around with your pc, so they are hardly going to have a known problem going like

"Known issue of pc not working after owner fu<ks it up"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Yes i know that
    :)

But maybe they might (depending on the manufacturer) have a trouble shooting guide, or something

What I'm basically saying is - try other sources...

Just because Pc World say they can't solve it, that doesn't mean it can't be solved;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

If you upgraded everything, and you think it's the graphics card, put the old one back in and see what happens

If you upgraded the processor, check the jumper settings.

If you stuck in new memory, make sure it was the right type for your motheboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Well firstly i upgraded my 56k modem(was shiity old one) bought a Zoom US Robotics 56k

Then bought a GeForce 2mx,then more ram now 256,then new sound card with 4.1 speakers.Everything was working grand until it happened,the reason i was at the back was my modem was acting funny,reason i guessed for this was my ma moved my tower to clear all the **** behind it,so reckoned it came a bit loose,

Took out my GFX card when i got the prob,fixed the jumper to use the onboard-still no joy

PCworld said they cudnt solve it so sent it to some place my da knows to get it fixed-which they did :)

Monitor was coming on,as in green led

Positive all the cables where right

No beeping sound from mobo,sounded normal to me,

the accused PC is now back in action,im just really lookin to find wot the cause was?dont mind been called a fvck up!

Odian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Just wanna raise this unsolved issue?

Thxs

Odian

Advertisement