Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two way sat internet connection ?

Options
  • 10-01-2002 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone remeber the name of the new two way low orbit satalite company that was being talked about on these boards awhile ago.If memory serves me right it was about £150 a month all you can eat job I just cant rember what it was called and a search hasnt helped.Much thanks to whoever,s little grey sells are still intact and able to help me out.

Stone :D

PS Its not europe-online i think it was based here in ireland (Dublin of course)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

the name escapes me at the moment, but last i heard they packed it in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Educom's base-level VSAT (two-way) service is EURO150/month, although it ain't all-you-can-eat (3GB). I'm not providing a link because their pricing is scandalous. :)

adam

I was thinking of OnStar's Beam, who i now think trade as http://www.broadband4uk.com/index.shtml

Ahh right. Looks like Educom are a Beam reseller. Although wasn't it supposed to be uncapped? Hmm.

Oh and you forgot to say "plus vat"

scandalous indeed, but for saps like me who live too far from the exchange for DSL.....

Looks like Educom are a Beam reseller.

Don't think so. As far as I know, "Beam" used Gilat satellites, whereas Educom use the Hughes Network.

Oh and you forgot to say "plus vat"

Indeed.

scandalous indeed, but for saps like me who live too far from the exchange for DSL

Well, if you've got the money, I suppose it's ok. It's a fairly substantial investment for a fairly crappy downstream though...

adam

i think tiscali are using Gilat.... beam were OnStar... Was OnStar Gilat? Ah hell I dunno...

I just got some info from the Internet World 2001 show website on Educom:
    Educom Micro Systems are an indigenous Irish company providing complete Internet/IT Solutions for the home and the business user. We will be at the Internet World Show Irl 2001, promoting our new Beam 512K Broadband Internet Access via Satellite. The ultimate down-loaders tool making high speed access both available and affordable.

So if they're not (and it does indeed say on their site that they're hughes), who's reselling BEAM here? Is anyone?

As an aside, i just checked out the aramisk site and according to an in depth *cough* analysis of my surfing habits using their "package selection wizard", the 'Arc4' package would suit me best. 1536kbps down, 320kbps up, no cap, stg£449.

Ermm, sorry lads, but i think the auld wizard needs a bit of fine tuning, cause that sure as hell doesn't suit me....

• Advertisement

i think tiscali are using Gilat.... beam were OnStar... Was OnStar Gilat?

Actually, you could very well be right, and I could very well be wrong. The grey matter is sending me new signals now, that Beam was in fact an OnStar service, and that OnStar stopped providing VSAT a while ago. And as far as I know, OnStar is a GM company. And so is Hughes!

Sowwy! :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Thanks for the info lads though its a little disapointing the download limits are to miserly for what im aming for.The reason im asking is im doing abit of research trying to find a cheap but useable conection for up to 25 pc,s for a net cafe .To be honest i want to avoid giving eircom the bussines a leased line as far as i can make out would be way to expensive and ISDN to limited.The cafe would be used mainly for e-mails and surfing though it would be nice to be able to play online games thats not esential.So if you have any ideas or know of a company that can help please post them here.

THX
    Stone

Wellll... I don't know much, but if i was opening a net café i reckon aramiska would be worth looking at - up to 30pcs on 2048kbps down, 320kbps up, no download cap.... £550stg a month

I should have moved this to Nets/Comms earlier. Sorry about that. No disrespect intended.

adam

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by pete
    scandalous indeed, but for saps like me who live too far from the exchange for DSL.....

Don't abandon hope yet: I just got a WLL phone line installed, and the Airspan kit that Eircom installed is at least theoretically capable of xDSL.

If ADSL ever gets rolled out in Ballina town, I will start mercilessly hounding Eircom for wireless broadband...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Thanks for the link, Pete, this might be the answer to those of us looking to "sell" irishwan to people at the moment :

http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=222

regards,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I've just read the educom.ie site, and although it looks tempting I'd think that the latency would be an issue for online gaming, or specifically for the sort of performance/response that online gaming would demand as distinct from big downloads or browsing.

Any care to comment on this? Does anyone know if this is the case with these satellite solutions?

thanks in advance.

c0y0te

If ADSL ever gets rolled out in Ballina town, I will start mercilessly hounding Eircom for wireless broadband...!

It mightn't be as long in coming as you think...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Gilat is reselling service to Beam (who resell to broadband4uk), Tiscali and BT's 2 way access.

Hughes is a seperate network, and they resell to Educom in Ireland. Educom started off with Beam, but when Onstar scrapped Beam, Educom did too. ;)

All of these services use Geostationary orbits, so obviously have high lag; 450ms being the best possible result.

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dconn

hi i am what you might call a newbie to this forum

But having first hand experince of internet via satellite i thought i should let you know how i got on, becasue there seems to be a lot of confusion about.

having spent the best part of 6 months researcing this service
    there seem to be 3 main contenders

1. Beam Solutions reselling Gillat
    2. Educom reselling hughes direcpc
    3. Aramiska reselling a version of hughes.

After waiting months trying to get info and service from both beam and aramiska i came accross Educom who are based in dublin
    and shock horror within 2 weeks of making contact i had a dish installed in my house.

It's a 74cm dish and connects to a usb sat modem that plugs in to my win 2000 pc at home.
    Since the install in december i average downloads of 50Kb and uploads of 8Kb.
    So ive told eircom where to stuff their Hispeed line
    It's well worth checking them out on www.educom.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I believe that sattelite signals give you the bandwidth but I also believe they give you bad pings, which is useless for online gaming :eek:

afaik there is a minimum of 200ms from the dish to your pc leaving you with a ping of 250+ although I'm probably wrong :D

give us the ping statistics for cs.irelandcs.com www.jolt.co.uk www.opasia.dk if you wouldn't mind please :)

ooh I quite like www.blueyonder.co.uk give that a ping too pls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dconn

ping times are bad due to sat latency approx .5 to .7 sec

so sorry look like gaming is out

regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sjock

Guys,
    Judging their website it doesn't seem a Hughes reseller.
    What do you think?

http://www.aramiska.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Arimiska are using Utilsat and are currently recruiting resellers in Ireland, with planned availability in March(I wouldn't bet on it). However their proposed pricing makes Educom look like a bargin, so perhaps a bit of market research is in order before they launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Hi All,

So gaming is out with satallite, but what ping would you get?

Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

A quick comparison from ISDN to a Sat link. The Sat link has a much larger pipe, but this should at least give people an idea of what to expect.

128k ISDN

Ping rates

www.jolt.co.uk 400-600ms
    www.opasia.dk 400-600ms
    www.blueyonder.co.uk 500-600ms

4MB file download from nai(Network Associates) in 16 minutes 30 seconds averaging in the 4kb per second area.

768k sat link

jolt 800-900ms
    opasia 850-1000ms
    blueyonder 700-800ms

Same 4MB file download from nai(Network Associates) in 35 seconds averaging in the 120-130kb per second area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by Occidental
    A quick comparison from ISDN to a Sat link. The Sat link has a much larger pipe, but this should at least give people an idea of what to expect.

128k ISDN

Ping rates

www.jolt.co.uk 400-600ms
    www.opasia.dk 400-600ms
    www.blueyonder.co.uk 500-600ms

bloddy hell
    thats some CRAP ping
    i get abotu 60-80 jolt/by servers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

OK

Speed of light 170000 miles a sec

Sats are geo stationary at 22000 miles

Up to sat and down agin to ground station = 44000 miles

250 ms at the speed of light to do that much and no routers involved

then rest of route to server on ground links

and then back and up and down again.

an 800ms round trip is only 300ms ground station to server and back to ground station with 500ms up and down twice.

I would therefore only consider sats with european ground stations as a transatlantic hop would kill the speed altogether.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Most (if not all) sat services offered in europe use an European NOC...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Yes, Gilat is in Germany, and Aramiska is in Belgium, and I think Hughes is in Germany too, but am not sure.

Ping results (aramiska arc3):
    Jolt
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=563ms TTL=242
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=566ms TTL=242
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=567ms TTL=242
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=570ms TTL=242
    Opasia:
    Reply from 194.192.82.30: bytes=32 time=575ms TTL=109
    Reply from 194.192.82.30: bytes=32 time=663ms TTL=109
    Reply from 194.192.82.30: bytes=32 time=647ms TTL=109
    Reply from 194.192.82.30: bytes=32 time=667ms TTL=109
    Blueyonder