Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S. Erickson - Memories of Ice

Options
  • 10-01-2002 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished reading Steven Erikson's third book from the Malazan series - Memories of Ice.

Its an excellent read, IMHO. Erikson's world is very different to more conventional "high fantasy" as popularised by the likes of Feist and Tolkien. His races, magic system, deities and so on are all pretty inventive (IMHO), and quite complex.

What I love about his writing is that he completely changes the normal "course" of things where you have gods playing their godl game through manipulating mortals. While this is clearly happening, the mortals are often manipulating the gods - even to the point of outwitting and threatening them.

Also, unlike so many authors, Erikson has no compunction about killing off major characters - which he does almost to the same level as Shakespeare in one of his tragedies. Of course, Erikson has the advantage of allowing people's souls to be re-corporealised in new bodies from time to time.....

For those familiar with his work the book centres on the Bridgeburners, running parallel in time to the second book. All the main characters from the first book make a reappearance - including the Kruppe, Rake, Brood, WhiskeyJack, Quick Ben, and so on. New and unusual alliances and friendships are forged, and more and more is revealed about what is really going on.

Complex and twisting, this was not a light read, but it was a most enjoyable one.

In short - I recommend it, but it wont be everyone's Cup O'Tea [tm]

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 RandyMan

I totally loved the first two books but I didn't even know that there was a third one out!!!!:eek: It ain't in the bookstores in Limerick anyway but I'll ask around??:cool:
    If you like to read fantasy books where the good guys get killed off I totally recommend A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by RandyMan
    I totally loved the first two books but I didn't even know that there was a third one out!!!!:eek: It ain't in the bookstores in Limerick anyway but I'll ask around??:cool:

It was released in Trade Paperback in early December. If they dont have it, they should :)

I'm curious why they never seem to get released in Hadrback, but dont go straight to paperback....very few books seem to get their first release in Trade these days...

If you like to read fantasy books where the good guys get killed off I totally recommend A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin :)

Already read :)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 RandyMan

Don't you just love the way all the good guys die:lol
    Hey there should be more damn emoticons for these boards:(
    Anyway the reason I think that Ericksons books don't come out in hardback is because they are sp bloody big anyways:p

Advertisement