Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOl hassle

Options
  • 10-01-2002 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend was subscribing to the 'no limits' service sometime around the end of 2000. Around January last, she decided that it wasn't worth her while paying the £20 monthly fee as she wasn't using the internet enough, so she rang and cancelled the subscription.

A month later she was still billed the monthly fee anyway, so she rang and straightened it out.

She has since been billed twice by Esat/Iol - one for 2 pence ( which she popped into the envelope provided and sent off) and more recently another for, i think, 1 penny! The miserable gits. it would cost them, i would imagine ten or twenty times that to actually process those bills!

She won't ring them and give them a piece of her mind - I personally would jump at the chance having been dumped from the service in May 2001 myself...

So I'm just wondering is there anyone else getting hassle from them since cancelling thier subs.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheJaff

Yup

see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38532

Seems to me that Esats accounts dept is run by airheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Yea Esat kicked me off last march cause they say I hadn't paid my bill, so I rang them in may so see if I still had an account with them & was told by tech support that I didn't, last november came & I got a bill from E****e for 11.50 I rang them to say that they could feck off if I'm paying that & I told them that I'd rung tech support & they had said I had no account, the bloke told me that this phone call to tech support never took place & that I still had a contract with them till Augest, what bast*rds, and a few days ago they sent a bill to me charging me 45 snots 32 qiud more for paying late!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Interesting...

While I was still on No-Limits, I had a weird episode, to say the least. One day I found that I couldn't connect to the service at all. I rang up IOL Customer support the following day to check what the story was, only to find that my account had been cancelled. They claimed that they had received a letter requesting cancellation.

Which was odd given that no-one in my household had sent such a thing. We pressured them trying to get a copy of the letter, but to no avail.

I suspect that they may have been trying to slyly cut back the numbers on the service :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As well as having thicko's in the accounts section of Esat, they can also try to fill u with the greatest amount of dirt. Its amazing, they must have a team to think up of different ways to fob off its unsatisfied customers. Unbelieveable what they try to get away it aint it...:rolleyes: A mysterious letter, that they cant prove..legally they havent got a leg to stand on (i dont think) in any of these cases, tho what can anyone do really...
    Just like they signed me up for their home phone service, when no contracts were signed..they cant go on doing this to people, hope they get what they deserve soon...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭viking

Hmmm, interesting stories....

Let me tell you mine.

I decided to sign up for SNL in May 2000, filled in the forms required e.g. details, bank details etc. and sent it off in the post.

Anyway, didn't hear anything back from them in a week, so I rang and asked them what was the story? The said they didn't receive my details yet, but to wait a few more days. Did this and didn't hear from them again, so I rang them and was told they hadn't received my details, that they must have been lost in the post, but they had sent another form out to me in the meantime so I could fill it out and send it in again.

Anywho, I got this form in the post a few days later, but the form had my name & address plus my bank details printed on them. Now remember these people told me they didn't receive any information from me but yet they somewho managed to guess my sort code and bank account number!!!

I called up SNL and went to fecking town on the highest ranking person I could speak to, I quoted breach of Data Privacy etc etc etc and threatened legal action and all that business.

You see when I sent in my original form I used a bank a/c which is my current a/c. What Esat/IOL did was print on the form (the one that was sent out to me after they said they got absolutely no info from me) a bank a/c number that I use for my Esat Digifone DD. Major breach of Data Protection between separate entities of the same parent company which is not allowed.

Needless to say after my litigious threats on the phone to them, it was all sorted and they had indeed now located my original form which was, according to them, "lost in the post". (MUPPETS!)

Just a note to everyone, if you are unsure of how a company got any information of yours, always, always, always contact them and quote the data protection act and that you are requesting that they tell you where they got your information. Information is so important to companies nowadays, that they are prepared to abuse their responsibilites as protectors of your data. Don't let this happen...

P.S. The SNL packages was so krap, that I ended up cancelling after 2 months, I couldn't live with 33.6kpbs connection. Of course they pointed the finger at Eircom, Eircom pointed the finger at Esat/IOL, etc,etc,etc...

viking

• Advertisement

For 2 corporate companies, blaming each other like they did, how lame and to use excuses that DONT add up, totally lame. My bro got at them once they cut me off and told them to send out the terms and conditions to us, and the contract we signed but they didnt, they really have no idea how to run a service, its amazing how they get away with it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by viking

P.S. The SNL packages was so krap, that I ended up cancelling after 2 months, I couldn't live with 33.6kpbs connection. Of course they pointed the finger at Eircom, Eircom pointed the finger at Esat/IOL, etc,etc,etc...

viking

I still use the SNL package and can only get 28.8kbps! The main reason I still use it is coz there's no alternative unmetered package and it's cheaper than per-minute billing. I did use IOL free few times to see if it were faster but I still just got 28.8kbps! I must try UTV internet to see if it is any faster though I think my connexion is slow coz of DACS on my line.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Originally posted by irishbyte

I still use the SNL package and can only get 28.8kbps! The main reason I still use it is coz there's no alternative unmetered package and it's cheaper than per-minute billing. I did use IOL free few times to see if it were faster but I still just got 28.8kbps! I must try UTV internet to see if it is any faster though I think my connexion is slow coz of DACS on my line.:mad:

I use Nolimits still, too, but i can connect at 56k.. But there's one thing; ESAT seem to love cutting me off regularily. Sometimes i'll relogon and they'll cut me off after 2 minutes, this can go on for about half an hour.. Still, much bettter than paying per minute. :p

They seem to be watching what ur downloading too :p i was downloading a 48mb Limp Bizkit Video and twice when it got to round 90% it cut off, also, if u dont log on by 6pm..u can forget about getting on till round 9pm, thats how it was for me, wouldnt connect as it was too busy.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

They seem to be watching what ur downloading too i was downloading a 48mb Limp Bizkit Video and twice when it got to round 90% it cut off, also, if u dont log on by 6pm..u can forget about getting on till round 9pm, thats how it was for me, wouldnt connect as it was too busy..

Prove it ?
    Thats what i was asked to do but i couldnt ? Can anyone else ?

• Advertisement

Proof is difficult to come across when dealing with them lot, as they'll deny it and deny it again. Interesting point tho, I wonder has anyone challenged them or has anyone proof they're messing around purposely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I too got a letter from them saying that I was using their service too much, etc. So I called them up and they told me that there was now a 75 hour/month limit and if i exceeded it, they would cancel my account. A month later I called them again, and it turned out that the 75 hour/month thing was complete bull****...

The good news is that I'm still using their service, and it sure is better than paying by the minute... Last weekend I left my PC on every night downloading loads of anime - I ended up downloading around 300 megs.
    Flatrate is definitely the way to go...
    It's a pity they have such crap Management / Tech Support / Common Sense / Etc

I used the service about 5-8 hrs a day... but they never gave me that 75 hr option. At least u got the option hehe :)

Advertisement