Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems Eircom Don't know their KiloBits from thier Kilobytes

Options
  • 10-01-2002 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I couldn't beleve when I seen this!
    http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/mouse/index.html
    According to Eircom a modem gets 56KB/sec.
    ISDN is 64KB/sec and 128KB/sec.
    ADSL is 512KB/sec.
    The download demo for the modem completes a 1000K download in 27Seconds (I've timed it!) thats a whoping 37KBytes/Second.
    Their ISDN does it in 11Seconds (111KBytes/Second)
    ADSL is less than 2 seconds! (something like 512Kbytes/Sec)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

also interesting is the fact that they are able to connect at 56 dead on, which is nothing less that imagination gone wild

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

looks like a bad case of false advertising to me. If you run the demo's not only does the modem dialup in under 15secs and connect at 56,000bps but it also downloads at 56k a second as opposed to the usual 3-6 you may be lucky enough to get, and it gets better as it goes on. their isdn connects at 128,000 bps and manages to dl at 128k a sec :eek: but I suppose I should be going for this elite 512k connection and take advantage of their 512k a second dl rate :rolleyes:

Now why won't my 2meg leased line download at 2megs a second eh :D :rolleyes:

Honestly could you not take legal action on the grounds of blatantly misinforming the consumer? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Shouldn't that read: Seems Eircom Don't know their arse from thier elbow???

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Connecting @ 56k dead on.

Running linux or BSD or any Unix derivative that supports the setserial command. For example say the 56k external modem connected to my 386 server gets a command issued to it @ bootup which says this

setserial /dev/ttyS0 spd_hi
    now when wvdial the program I dial the internet with requests a connection speed of say 36k the setserial program forces a 56k connection, which is cool no? This is almost totally negated by 1. The speed of the 386 2. The distance from 386 to hub to box, but I think the theory is sound or sumthin. Though I have heard something like using setserial is depreciated, whatever that means, also if I was using ADSL I would probably have to convert the network away from 10mb to 100mb, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Typedef
    Connecting @ 56k dead on.

Running linux or BSD or any Unix derivative that supports the setserial command. For example say the 56k external modem connected to my 386 server gets a command issued to it @ bootup which says this

setserial /dev/ttyS0 spd_hi
    now when wvdial the program I dial the internet with requests a connection speed of say 36k the setserial program forces a 56k connection, which is cool no?
    no it doesnt-it sets a serial port speedof 57.6
    spd_vhi sets serial port speed to 115 kb etc
    it won't affect thew speed negotiated by the two modems
    jd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

No it won't affect the speed that the hardware handshake "agrees" on however it 'should' speed up the connection speed, evidence for this is that in the wvdial output I consistently get a connect of 57600, because I have set the baud rate to 56k.
    Setserial manpage
    spd_hi Use 57.6kb when the application requests 38.4kb.
    This parameter maye be specified by a non-privileged user.

http://www.daemonnews.org/199903/deskbsd.html
    The 57600 refers to the speed to connect to the serial port across he bus, not to the modem speed, although it should be faster than your modems transmit speed.

Advertisement