Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running older Dos4G games on Win 98SE

Options
  • 10-01-2002 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

A bit of advice if anyone has the time...

I have Jonah Lomu Rugby (plus some other games) that will not run on my Win 98SE machine. When I attempt to install it, it bombs out with a DOS4G error about memory something-or-other. Am I wasting my time trying to run it on a Win 98 Second Edition machine, or is there some software I could download to get it to work. I've formatted my hard-disk and reinstalled Windows so the machine is squeaky-clean.

Thanks, etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Have you tried running it in 'pure' dos? ie, shutting down windows all together..might have to set some sound settings in the autoexec if you need sound that bad, but it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

You might be able to dl the psx version of it and use an emulator to play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I had that problem too and I e-mailed codemasters I think or whoever it is that made the game, they sent me out a boot disk for the game and instructions on how to run it, this was ages ago and ive lost the disk now, i dunno if they still offer support for it. I dont think the game had any sound either in the end, but it worked at least

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't claim to be an authority on the subject but i thought that Jonah Lomu was a Windows game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

yeh what game is this actually originally for? is it a ROM game? or is it the actual PC version?

If its simply a ROM then give up as the file is probably corrupted. Othwerwise, make sure the requirements of the game meet your systems spec's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

This post concerns the Windows version of Jonah Lomu. It's not pirated, or emulated - bought from HMV for £4.99 (so I'm not too peeved about it not working).

I've started up in DOS, but unfortunately, a DOS startup won't recognise my Creative CDRW, and I can't find the relevant DOS drivers on the creative site...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think it's supposed to be a windows game but it only works in dos unless it works properly on win95, or maybe HMV just got a bandy bunch on the cheap. I got mine in HMV too, but it was like 4 years ago I think

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ReefBreak

I've started up in DOS, but unfortunately, a DOS startup won't recognise my Creative CDRW, and I can't find the relevant DOS drivers on the creative site...

Hmmm, the old story (I'll lay odds there aren't even DOS drivers written for the thing)

*Offers a solution*
    Try using the Win98 bootdisc and booting in CDROM-support-enabled mode. Or pull the generic cdROm drivers from the boot floppy.

If you can't find yours (making a new one won't include the generic DOS drivers, mail me and I'll send you a Winimage of mine (all the discs are the same - not a different one for each PCbrand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Why dont you just return the game for a refund or a replacement? I think 'Game' do stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

It'd be second time I've returned the Jonah Lomu game - I returned it once before to have it replaced by FIFA Rugby 98 (a bit of a disappointment), then bought it again when they were selling it for a fiver. I figured I'd give it another go (not much to lose)...

• Advertisement
Advertisement