Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New server, new boards.ie :)

• 10-01-2002 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

The new boards.ie is nearly here - we've installed the new machine and its just waiting for us to migrate the boards software and test it. We're hoping to begin migration and testing over the weekend, and go live next week.

The hardware is an impressive upgrade (from a P2-400 with 128 meg of ram to a dual P3-933, 1 gig of Ram + oodles of HD space) and its located in Ireland with Nevada Tele.com, who have a connection to the Inex. This should really improve the speed of boards, and should allow us to offer boards.ie mail, better members websites and all sorts of other goodies.

Hopefully, we'll have a nice smooth migration :)

Dan / Regi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sounds Great should be no more complaints of people getting slow connections to the site.

Lets all hope the migration of servers goes smoothly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

thats great news regi. pld admins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've a few tech questions, which I'll lob in an email to you when I get a chance... because, of course, the IrelandOFFLine site is hosted on the same server (you're not forgetting us, are you? :) ) For now, anyway...

Will our site be moving to the new server too?

If so - it's Linux, right? - will you be installing ChilliSoft ASP?

Cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Bard, I could never forget you :)

In the mean time, the old boards server is going to stay up, so all the other domains on that webserver will remain as is until boards itself is satisfactorily migrated.

The new server won't be running linux - it'll be running freebsd. I'll talk to you on irc about your scripting requirements :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Huzzah!

Will we be paying for boardmail/boardspace ?

Do tell us of these 'other goodies' :D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah, thats an area I've been tasked with for my sins....

The fact is we dont know yet. There is a HELLOVA lot going on right now and its all good. Taking money from people makes everything more icky.... you have to think about Service Level Agreements, retraction of service (I cant just go 12 clicking!), Acceptible Use Policies, abuse/misuse of service, load on the server, bandwidth restrictions and workload of the admins to look after it when up and running. To name but a few.

That said, we DO have a mail server up and running and we will be providing webspace as ever (the migration gives me nightmares but we should be ok)...

If anyone has thoughts about this, let me know or post here. I want to avoid the Ireland.com trap but I think its a good idea all the same.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a few ideas I've had about the whole mail thing since I first heard it brought up.

1. No-one pays for mail service, but it is restricted to participating members. Perhaps after 500/1000 posts a member becomes entitled to an address. OK, some people have been here a while, are well respected, but don't post much (odonnell_abu for example). Maybe there could also be a certain time + min posts requirement. Maybe ppl who have been here for about 1 year and have 200 posts? Maybe it could be up to DeV or Cloud - people ask personally for an account, and they determine someone eligibility. I dunno, I'm just throwing this idea out there, it sounds hardish to implement, but would save having tonnes of unused accounts gunging up the brand new server :)

2. People pay for the email account only, meaning that DeV is free to 12-click to his hearts content, as long as it is stipulated that the e-mail account and the boards.ie membership are not a package thing. Sounds simpler to me, but as you say, brings in other complications.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Sounds Great should be no more complaints of people getting slow connections to the site.

Except for the people that live in Atlanta :)

Are Boards going to be paying per GB for the bandwidth? If so I'd make an allowance for an increase. Since most of the users will be very close to the server, they'll download the pages faster and more of them...

Also DNS records have a ttl of 24 hours, so when you change the DNS record for boards.ie it won't change for everyone at the same time. Depending on what ISP your on some people could end up seeing the old server for a day after the other one has gone live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Regi
    The new boards.ie is nearly here - we've installed the new machine and its just waiting for us to migrate the boards software and test it. We're hoping to begin migration and testing over the weekend, and go live next week.

\o/
    Great Stuff Guys.
    Look forward to it :)

All the best & G'luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Don't give up your ability to 12-click Dev, please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

To sort out the nice guys (like meee :D) from muppets and dead accounts you could make a once-off donation to Boards.ie a requirement for a Boards.ie email address. Of course the Admins would have a say on whether to accept this and allow the email account or not.

Perhaps a member could request an email address and the Admins would decide whether to allow the address or not, i.e. if it is offensive they could refuse it. If they give it the all clear then the member is required to make a once off payment to Board.ie and when ye get this payment the account can be set up.

This way ye would weed out the muppets, make a nice bit of money and still keep your right to 12-click whenever the member starts acting the muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man

Also DNS records have a ttl of 24 hours, so when you change the DNS record for boards.ie it won't change for everyone at the same time.

So change them to an hour or so two/three days before the changeover :-)
    JD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

So change them to an hour or so two/three days before the changeover

Or move the site to shiny.new.boards.ie while the changes propogate? :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

agree wit hthe post requierment for email accounts, and only one per account, that way we will be able to limit muppetry on the accounts, tell me will they by pop based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Nice one guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Also please post the specs on the new server so us nerd types can drool and pant and generally get all sweaty. Or in Gerry's case probably point out that a quad P4 probably would have been a better option :p

Plyd
    gl

I have no suggestions at this time, as I have been unable to hack Dev's Pc tonight. Soz :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Played lads. I hope we don't have to go playing the "Regi says Oops!" card :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by dahamsta
    So change them to an hour or so two/three days before the changeover

Or move the site to shiny.new.boards.ie while the changes propogate? :)

adam

always good to bring the ttl down before you move your domain.
    isps are often getting queries about this-few threads in ie.comp about it
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:4MuYTBCQdlcC:www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag/node88.html+ttl+dns&hl=en
    jd

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Looks to be quite promising indeed... Thou hath done very well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by jd
    So change them to an hour or so two/three days before the changeover :-)
    JD

:)

When's the move to shiny.new.boards.ie going to happen?

Edit:
    Looks like it's on the way:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=off&mode_w=on&site=195.218.115.65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Great.. I actually came here to the admin board to complain about the slow connections, took me 10 seconds to view this post, and 16 seconds to view that post with lots of boards.ie statistics in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yes, Regi had us messing about in the new server last night, and it was fuppin flying along. Wait 'til you get a load of it!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

and its working nicely :)

yes, extremly fast indeed. the main page login and side links need to be changed had to replace the 'www' with 'troll' on my personal homepage login script.

Congratulations SMAK..your the first post on the new boards system!

Now let's all eat pie

www.boards.ie takes you to troll.boards.ie anyway :p
    Its not gonna be troll.boards.ie for good is it?

[edit]AH! NO SIG. IMAGES?! THE APOCOLYPSE IS UPON US! WE'RE DOOMED!!!![/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by MiCr0
    and its working nicely :)

it was me!!

cheers kyro. if it stays on troll.boards.ie peeps will have to edit their sig images and links. like ive done. arn't i great?? ;)

also it seems the file manager on the hosted sites isnt working. i cant upload episode 1337 of live @ 3!!

Originally posted by smak
    cheers kryo. if it stays on troll.boards.ie peeps will have to edit their sig images and links. like ive done. arn't i great?? ;)

Ooo, cheater..but troll.boards.ie is only a test url :p

You misspelt my name..only Renton is allowed do that, the monkey.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

we'll be returning to www.boards.ie as soon as possible.
    I understand the DNS is transferring as I type.

DeV.

• Advertisement

great stuff dev!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Played lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Damn now I can't go off and make a cup of coffee while a thread loads :p

Played lads, its bloody motoring now :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Yea, thx for all the work you guys are doing. The site is nice and swift now and its lovely to see pages loading within 10 secs :p

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

Great job, it loads nice and fast here. Amp, regi already said its a dual p3 933. Tis good enough for meh :)

And we have * back in the dropdown menus.

Regi, whats the name for the webpage compression thingy you were using to reduce download time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Hey phil - Its called 'gzip'

tanx

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Christ lads, now I can't bitch, whinge and moan about the slow load-up's due to people browsing / d/l'ing mp3's in the café while im checking boards... Then again, I suppose thats a good thing :D

Great Work Guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well seems like the changeover went well, the increase in page load times is unreal wp lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement