Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Internet details ????

• 04-09-2000 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Talked to a NTL drone a few minutes ago. The service launch is "delayed" because they are trying "to make the service even better". She couldn't give me a exact date for the launch cos "then she would be lying to me" wtf !!!!????

Looks like NTL taking cablelink over hasn't changed the lies etc.

If you don't believe me give them a call on 1800 321 321.

Gandalf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Their website still has the usual 'coming soon' b/s we're used to... don't hold your breath, I guess frown.gif

Bard
    |home page

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I think at best (unless you live in Tallaght) you can hope for is 24 hour flat rate 'modem' connect at around 40 pounds a month. NTL's site still traces back to TINET and to offer 24 hour flat rate of any type they have to be in bed with TINET/EIRCOM which would mean they can't exactly step on their toes by allowing ISDN access which will only take revenue from EIRCOM and let's face it EIRCOM need every penny they can get. This is also more than likely the reason for their delay of ADSL which again will only take revenue from all their leased line business.

I think we can safely assume that unless EIRCOM are forced to do something because of real competition (not rumours like the b/s from companies like genesis) then their just not going to do it. Early unbundling of the local loop is about the only thing that will force Eircom to roll out ADSL. IMO Genesis were just trying to force this early unbundling by signing loads of people up then going to the regulator and saying 'look all these people want *DSL' Course all their doing in reality is screwing people about while they build their companies value by building their database of potential future customers.

I was talking to a guy from Italy and he was telling me how bad telecoms are over there, their flat rate covers modem and ISDN and their ADSL is FREE to install and 80 quid rental every 2 months flat rate.

Blade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Damn they have it though over there in Italy rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Got asked in work today if I'd be willing to trial our Dsl offering in Oct.
    "S'pose" I replied. smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

FFs, would they ever get there shít together,

/me installs a big mother cable, to the ISP........ Direct.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 [666]NATAS

hi im an ex-NTL staff member...
    just to let you lot know what the story is...
    1. the whole of dublin has to have ducting pipe laid first.
    2. then A fibre optic back bone has to be put into the duckting.
    3. junction boxes at every house has to be upgraded aswell as the cable running into the house...

so be patient..ntl(the old cablelink)
    has 650,000 customers to re-do...so give it time..it could take a year or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Any sign of NTLs offers anywhere I thought they were launching today.

Gandalf.

Originally posted by [666]NATAS:

If thats the case, they should never have said "coming soon" or "launching at the start of September"...

grr...

Bard
    |home page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

hi im an ex-NTL staff member...
    just to let you lot know what the story is...
    1. the whole of dublin has to have ducting pipe laid first.
    2. then A fibre optic back bone has to be put into the duckting.
    3. junction boxes at every house has to be upgraded aswell as the cable running into the house...

Yeah thats fine but tbh we're talking about the dialup service that was suppost to have been launched 2 weeks ago.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I was just talking to someone in NTL earlier today and this what they said.
    Cable access at 512 upstream and 128 (err, i think) downstream.
    No cablemodem supplied but they have worked out deals with 3rd parties for deals and they will come out and install it if you need.
    they are offering it to thier Area 6 first. This isnt Dublin 6 but seems to be *roughly* the same as theyve already started twiddling boxes in Terenure and Rathmines/Ranelagh are in this zone.
    They wouldnt be pinned down on price before thier launch, but i was told i "wasnt far wrong" with about 50 per month. Ouch, still better than my pre-nolimits phone bill tho smile.gif
    You get a fair whack of webspace too. I didnt ask about the flatrate dial up, cos after hearing the areas, i just didnt care smile.gif
    Full Details in 2-3 weeks (sigh), mail shot to existing cablelink customers.

apperently Eircom have *dsl ready to roll out, theyre are staff there that have like 10 mbit connections for testing purposes.
    They also have plans for it. Because ntl represent such huge competetion to them (ISP, Internet telephony) they plan to compete with ntl with digital TV. Plans for this already seem to be well underway as 3 key personell have already left TV3 to join Eircoms TV division.
    Needless to say they wont even think of rolling it out till they have to as it will kill thier It Still Does Nothing business stone dead, but if ntl do get thier **** together soon, then the balls in Eircoms court.
    Dustaz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by Dustaz:
    3 key personell have already left TV3 to join Eircoms TV division.

TV3 managed the almost impossible by being a station even worse than RTE, and these are the people head-hunted by Eircom. Glad to see all those Eircom people getting fat off our money still have the ability to make a total **** up of things. rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

smile.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Canaboid Wrote:
    Got asked in work today if I'd be willing to trial our Dsl offering in Oct.

You'll be trialing it in Oct or they'll be offering it in Oct?

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    TV3 managed the almost impossible by being a station even worse than RTE, and these are the people head-hunted by Eircom.
    At least TV3 saw something that consumers wanted and gave it to them (They are ahead of thier ratings schedule). TV3 was started by a bloke who thought that Irish TV audiences needed a commercial station with an independant news service. Whether you like it or not, do you think theres someone in Eircom saying "Irish people need cheap affordable broadband!" i think not smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Why is TV3 *STILL* not available through out the whole country?
    It's a good enough station, but I tent to watch Sky, Sky Sports, MTV 2 and Sci-Fi Channel. I love digital satelite smile.gif

Anyway, HURRY THE FUK UP WHOEVER IS GOING TO GIVE ME CABLE OR *DSL!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Originally posted by Dustaz:
    a commercial station with an independant news service.

I was thinking to myself moments before they launced - "Ireland needs an independant news service" We need the biggest prat imaginable to tell us the weather. We need sports presenters we've never heard of to get it completley wrong, and of course - you can never have too many ads.

This is typical of some peoples xenophobic views. If I want idependant news - I'll switch on SKY or CBS. Why would I want another Irish station covering knackers making a mess of some statley home, when I can have an American station telling me the lastest on the border clashes between two nuclear powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Blade - Trialing in oct. Sorry bout that smile.gif

Just talked to someone who is trialing dsl for Eircom. They are gearing up to steal NTL's TV customers for sure. Apparently the video on demand is rather schweeet.
    All this means the race is on, as first to market will have big advantages, so soon they'll be fighting over our custom.

Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    If I want idependant news - I'll switch on SKY
    Sky? Independant? Err....not the Sky news I watch.

Draco

not when it comes to SKY's bid for MAN UTD of course wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Eight-Ball

TV3's Fashion news is second to none and the weatherman is such a character, with showmen like him who needs Broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeh...
    "We've got a high pressure front sweeEEEeping across the west coast of Ireland down by kerry AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Anne McWhoorein who's 79 today"

Weird but very fun.

[-_+]

lol, ok so maybe they go a bit too far on the entertainment and maybe that weather bloke isnt exactly Francis "Cheech" Wilson, but like it or not its still an independant news source.
    Sky? yes, thats independant too, but so is the Sun newspaper and theres bog all difference. As for watching CBS, umm, Remind me of the last time they gave any coverage to the Moriarty Tribunals? (might not be riveting stuff, but it is local)
    Anyway, the whole point was that Eircom took staff that helped to set up a 'succesful' TV station (again ratings, no mean feat in a country with our population and access to so many channels).

Most people don't have access to a lot of channels. I only know a handful of people with cable/satelite. Either there parents don't give a **** or they're too poor to afford it in their flat. A lot of people don't see the point in having more channels - they see "da match" in the pub and that's good enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Yes, but thats what you get for being a bogger blitz

ah - the return of intelligent commentary. Everybody outside Dublin city is a bogger. There's no other city in Ireland but Dublin rolleyes.gif

God. And I expected a rebutal. Glad you see the truth. smile.gif
    quozl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, the all the roads around my area in Kilkenny have a nice strip of tarmacadem, with a manhole every few metres with CATV printed on them. MEEP. There doing something neway.

john

Yeah... they're moving underground to get away from the Kilkenny people... tongue.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

CatV? Lol. Stupid boggers laying twisted pair. Someone should warn them.
    quozl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

no no no it stands for
    "Cable Access Television" smile.gif

Advertisement