Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Internet details ????

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

"Hello ntl, how may i help you?"
    "I wonder if you could tell me when cable internet access will be launched"
    "Two weeks definitly, honestly, we really mean it this time"

"Hello Eircom, How may i help you?"
    "Id like some information on broadband internet access"
    "One moment, ill put you thru to our isp."
    "No wait, i mean actual broadband connections, i dont want an isp account"
    "Oh ok, one moment"
    "Oh ok, ill put you thru to our Hi-speed department"
    "thanks"
    "Hi, is that the Hi-speed dept?"
    "No, but i can give you a freefone number"
    "umm, ok"
    "is THAT the hispeed dept?"
    "Yes it is"
    "well, we are trialling dsl at the moment, but dont expect anything before the new year, Have you thought about ISDN?"

Gotta love semi state bodies smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

hmmmmmmmmm new ida
    we all come toghter and get a nice big cable installed from n.ireland or bring it across from england .
    nice ida but befour everyone says it i know i know ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, Yea, so take it,

"Cable Access Television" take it fewls :P

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Dustaz:
    "Hello ntl, how may i help you?"
    "I wonder if you could tell me when cable internet access will be launched"
    "Two weeks definitly, honestly, we really mean it this time"
    Two weeks?!
    Woohoo!
    /me throws 56k modem out the window and proceeds to hold his breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Dustaz:
    Gotta love semi state bodies smile.gif

Which one's a semi state body then? - Eircom? ntl: ?

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by elexes:
    hmmmmmmmmm new ida
    we all come toghter and get a nice big cable installed from n.ireland or bring it across from england .
    nice ida but befour everyone says it i know i know ......

S'funny you should mention that, but there's a consortium of BIG companies in the west of Ireland are going to do that - they are Volex (cable manufacturers), Baxter (Pharmacuticals) The Cedar Group (Software House), Allergan (Contact Lens stuff mostly) and a host of others. It's gonna be hard, but with the kind of money these boys and girls have, Mary Harney is meeting them soon so they can tell her what a sh1te government she has and so she can then go and put the pressure on whoever (I don't know who - Eircom aren't Semi-State anymore).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Originally posted by Kharn:
    she can then go and put the pressure on whoever (I don't know who - Eircom aren't Semi-State anymore).

Yeh, but they act like they are (obseverve 15 phone calls for one simple thing) and hence their share price drops like a rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Originally posted by Eight-Ball:
    TV3's Fashion news is second to none and the weatherman is such a character, with showmen like him who needs Broadband.

lmao biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

FFS mad.gifmad.gif
    I ring up NTL to ask about
    gettin hooked up - 8 minutes on hold then...

- (NTL) Hello NTL, how may I help you?

- (ME) Hi I just like to inquire abo...

- (Phone)Beep,beep,beep,beep

- (ME) F"$^£% Moth%£"$%$£$ass-bit**%$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, I hate that, ****ing Hold Annoys the sac off me, especially when they have Shíte music.

John

• Advertisement

tell me about it. I had to ring esat/iol/whoevertheyarenow the other night to ask a very simple question, so i rang the support number on my connection window.
    Phone rings twice and a real person picks up!!!!
    "Hi this is IOL support."
    "Yes, i have a question about no limits webspace"
    "ok, well theres actually a cheaper number to ring for no limits"
    At this point i made the fatal error of allowing greed to overcome the fact that i was talking to a human being. i ring the no limits number.
    ring ring ring ring
    "Your connected to iol support , please hold etc etc etc"
    its now 9:35..........
    "Thank you for holding, Were sorry but all our operators are busy. Your call is important to us so please hold."
    at 9:50 it starts ringing again!! AND THEN HANGS UP ON ME!
    after inflicting some damage on the sofa, i decide that with only 10 mins left till 10 (end of support time) ill chance ringing back.
    "Thank you for holding, Were sorry but all our operators are busy. Your call is important to us so please hold."
    10:15 Balls, i decide to just hang up and not waste anymore money. On an impulse, i ring back
    "This is IOL Support, were sorry, but hours of business are over"
    *(&^(*&^Y(()&*^%%E^^%!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Skeptic

<RANT>
    One of the problems with IOL support is the fact that the automatic system seems to put you on hold for a fixed period. It then hangs up and you get to join the end of the queue again.

I recently set up a no-limits account but *they* entered the number incorrectly. I have two lines: one for voice and the other for data. They set up the voice number even though there was a separate area to enter the specific number for the account to be used for the service.

The thing that gets me is that they set up the original number very quickly - the next day. It took a week then to change it to the other number. Each time I phoned I had to explain the full situation. One person said that I would have to fill out a new form in order to get the account. I had to explain that they made the mistake not me.

Eventually after several days they were able to find the original form. Then several days after that the account was changed.

BTW, I even typed a cover letter spelling out very carefully that I wanted the service applied to a particular number. This was ignored and some *robot* went to directly to the form and typed in the home voice number.

Their form is badly designed and mixes details of their phone service with their internet service (hence the letter). I think this may be in the hope that someone may sign up for the extra service by mistake.
    <\RANT>

NTL have put in the new overhead cable to the house. Its much thicker than the old stuff and has more insulation. I managed to talk to some manager responsible for network upgrades and he said the area (Templeogue) should be up and running by November. I would give it 50/50 before Christmas, however.

Anyway, the trick is to get past the call centre. I also managed to talk to an ADSL product manager in Eircom (a Dutch guy) he gave the impression that it was full speed ahead for ADSL but that there were still some marketing issues to be sorted out. Sorry I didn't take names and numbers. He was the first person who *knew* what ADSL was. I was trying to explain it to some receptionist and I was actually referred to NTL. "Oh I think its NTL that does that". Now I don't expect receptionists to know the technical details, but when I mentioned television over the phone lines (I had to put in simple terms) they actually referred me to another company.

I have never owned shares in Eircom.

Eircom are an arrogant and technically naive company - especially at management level who rely on infrastructure built up at the taxpayers expense.

The shareholders (financial institutions) are as$holes for allowing the directors to write themselves blank cheques.

Go further with Eircom? Go sh1te!

Thank you for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭OmiOmi

Skeptic nice posting biggrin.gif

I'll give you all the reason why Eircom sux so much....

Telia.. the swedish telephone giant. (I'm swedish so I really know this sh!t) They actually own about a third of eircom... now.. Telia is known for being overpriced, stupid, bad support, bad everything... Eircom will take AGES before putting anything faster than a modem. Shame.... The entire sweden has ASDL now... and actually delivered by telia.... *sigh* Hope that NTL at least puts a ISDN flatrate... Alltho I just ordered my Nolimit account.

Advertisement