Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN with LAN

Options
  • 10-01-2002 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am thinking of getting ISDN through eircom and would like to know what is the best modem to get.

I have Ethernet hub connecting a P2 Win98 machine to a P4 WinXP machine and would like to connect the modem to the hub to allow both machines to surf, simultaneously if necessary, sharing the connection.

Also what is the best way to set this up .
    Any other ideas would also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Get an Eicon or Asus TA(ISDN modem)
    Also read this thread, it might help...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

what you're talking about there is a router, they are usually quite expensive.

www.webramp.com and www.cisco.com do them, along with a whole range of other companies.

it's basically a smart box which controls LAN internet connections, all you do is set your gateway to the IP of the router to use them, and use the router software to setup the connection, ithas gotten easier to program them, but cisco for example have an entire telnet type ui for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 molie

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by bkehoe
    This is what you need: http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info3-info.asp?&m=y&quicklinx=V7R

Brendan

Yup, got one of those myself about a month back.
    Works an 'f ing dream...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Or you could put software like wingate (http://www.deerfield.com) on your p4 which would configure that machine as a router, then connect your modem to that machine. It certainly wouldn't be as expensive as purchasing a dedicated router.
    This machine would then act as a proxy server that could handle web access and email. It can also be set up for NAT and it has a basic firewall incorporated too.
    I've been using it quite some time now and I find it ok

Advertisement