Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all my collage work deleted please help

• 10-01-2002 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

i had all my collage work saved 2 a floppy it was working fine on the comp at school i was putting stuff into proper folders and deleting unnessary files then i tryed to access the a:/ then the comp hung for a while and told me that the floppy was not formatted and would i like 2 format it now!!!!!!! OMG then i tryed it a few more times, then i tryed it on a few more comps with the same result.so of course i have many back ups and back-ups of back-ups but what happens if we`ll say i didnt have all these back-ups which i do :rolleyes: is there any way i sould try 2 fix the problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Try norton disk doctor on the floppy disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Yeah, that or send it to a data-recovery place. (Check the golden pages.)

I'm going to be completely unhelpful now, and say;

I hope you learned your lesson about floppy disks. NOT worth the effort, completely unreliable, and they shouldn't still be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have to agree.

Floppies are too unreliable to store any data thats valuable.

Zip Disks or CDR(W)'s are the only reliable way to transfer. I havn't used a floppy for ages.

You could get some free online storage space and upload your work, if you have a connection to upload and download stuff.

At worst, at least make sure you have exactly the same data transferred onto two floppies.

As for recovery, try some disk recovery utility. They might be able to reconstruct the files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why bother when you have so many other copies?:D Liar!!

I still use floppies for home<-->college transport, simply because I'm too broke to buy a Zip drive for me home PC. My rule is -> never delete anything 'just to clean up' unless I have 2 other copies of it, pref. 1 on a floppy + 1 on a HD. What I used to do (before I lost my internet connection) is zip+email the file to myself(as longs as it < 3MB), and then open my email on the other computer and d/l it.
    Just my way.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i heard this crazy story

put the troubled hard drive into the deep freeze. leave it for an hour [or was that a day]. bring it out, start her up, get wat you need from the disk in 10 mins, and then throw the hard drive away.

i heard that crazy story.

backup methods ?

1) email accounts. send to your yahoo, your eircom, your bigmailbox, watever
    2) ftp....got webspace ?
    3) CD-R, mmmm nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Gateway Wildfile Goback...

I've had this pc for over a year and used that baby 400+.

eg put on the new GF2 drivers..slowed the pc down big style...tyen wheeeee back to 10 mins before I put them on.

Same with demos etc.

In fairness I've found it to be a godsend. My pc thinks its 2 months old :)

Best Regards
    Tilt

im sorry, i must have missed something.

WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

WHAT ARE TALKING ABOUT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Go and ask the computer techinican people in the college, I know that over here they are more then happy to help muppet students like yourself when things go wrong......... Other then that I'd say that you are pretty screwed.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Once there was a data recovery utility called Tiramisu (not the desert :p ) I am not sure if it is still around but I have used it on zip disk, sparq 1gb disks and numerous hard disks successfully for data recovery and it always worked even if the drives formatted. Not sure if it would work for floppies, but I would guess that it would work.

My 2 cents ..:)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

How would a hard disk backup system like Goback, or System Restore help someone who had files on a seperate floppy disk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I think I will point out the obvious and say, different OS's by any chance???

If so have you tried accessing floppy on original OS? I used to ge that problem going from NT to 98, dont know why, but I never lost a file because of it. So give that one a try too.

Advertisement