Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE in trouble going Digital

Options
  • 11-01-2002 8:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Dunno if ye saw this but...
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/0111/674444010BWDTTPLAN.html

<SNIPPET>
    BROADCASTING: A Government plan to introduce digital television may have to be scrapped because the sole bidder for a licence to operate the service has not yet secured a principal financial backer
    </SNIPPET>

Sad, eh?

James.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

This really belongs in Digital Terrestrial, but it is interesting.

If this is true and I do not believe everything I read in the papers,It is Sad.
    It would mean no competition.
    It would also imho make any effort to get CH 4, UTV etc on the Irish Sky EPG more difficult, as Mean Sky would have no incentive to do so.
    While as long as RTE want to go on the Sky digital platform, Sky had no choice really but to accomadate them .
    Why??
    Well because it's a channel almost universally available via an aerial, and it would attract more people to buy digiboxes.
    Being universally available, Sky do not lose out , by it being there in the same way as they would with UTV.
    Having the extra UK channels on the Irish EPG would also sell a lot of digiboxes-But reading between the lines,Sky are afraid of the audience share the UK channels would take.
    Especially when UTV and Channel four are selling advertising South of the Border, in direct competition with Sky one and News.
    There is a limit to the number of digiboxes sold and when that happens-advertising is the only "growing" revenue source.

Which channel's do you think the advertisers here would pay most for??
    Obviously the ones with the bigger audience, and those are UTV and channel four.
    mm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Kix
    This really belongs in Digital Terrestrial, but it is interesting.

Indeed it does.

Thread moved to the Digital Terrestrial Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ONireland

Some username that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

Positive news for the prospects for Irish DTT and rollout of broadband services.

• Advertisement

This cheers me up, as I am not a fan of Monopolies.

A quote from that article:

"While industry experts are quite sceptical about the viability of launching into such a saturated market, it is understood that the cornerstone of the It's TV bid is the offer of high-speed internet services rather than pushing digital tv services. "

I do not know who the "industry experts" are but they should take a look at the Chorus cable reception in Arklow ( a small few thousand of the total cable in ROI ).
    It is to put it mildly..............

Very,Very,Very Bad and all Mono with wavy lines and lots of snow

The only thing that's saturating that market is the snow on the pictures.
    mm

Advertisement