Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive mapping via TCP/IP

• 14-09-2000 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering is there a way to map to a drive via TCP/IP?

Even some kind of prehaps a FTP client that converts the connection to a drive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

i think the barest connection u can really get is the net command. I don't think you can get a ftpmount prog.. but not sure, never come across one before.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

They are correct.
    If your Windows Networking service is bound to TCP/IP you should be able to go //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and browse their machine/map drives etc. If you can't then you must have it set up wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ok I'll explain a little more.

I have a machine connected to my Cable Modem which is using Aventail to create a secure connection to work (so I can work from home).

It works great, totally invisible. However it doesn't support windows drive mappings.

So Find Computer, NET USE and PC Anywhere are the only programs so far I haven't been able to use yet.

I'll have a go at setting it up in LMHOSTS and see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Can you set up a vpn between yourself and work. If your work is halfway large or hitech they should have or get a vpn. There are free vpns for linux if you want an ipsec complient vpn for yourself, give freeswan.org a try. Or if they install a vpn such as checkpoint or sonicwall you can use the clients (securemote etc) that come with them to connect.
    Everything should be inivsible over the vpn including network connects, drive mappings, license floating, etc etc
    quozl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Would this work?
    net use G: ip_address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Would this work?
    net use G: ip_address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

nope. :/

Advertisement